Extreme distance shooting range....

So Basement, I guess you would rather the prairie dogs be poisoned than shot...... Prairie dogs are considered a pest on ranchland. If hunters didn't shoot them, ranchers would poison them. Prairie dog shooting isn't my cup of tea, but I'm not going to criticize it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Basement, better to just ignore the Varmints and just let the horses break their legs?

Solution please? You're addressing what you believe shouldn't be done but not what the fix is.

By the way - this is still off topic and there was a specif topic opened to address hunting to allow this one to return to it OP's theme.

I asked our F&W Service people about this and they told me that injuries to horses stepping into prairie dog holes is very rare...most of the time resulting in a bruise on that rare occasion, not a break.

So I'd like to see some statistics on this claim of horses breaking legs. How many horses break their legs this way? What is the risk assessment of allowing, say, prairie dog populations to remain constant rather than eradicating them?

Thing is, if this is really a big problem then where are the studies associated with this really big problem? I'd like to get some references to the research.

Pack, if somone owns a ranch and loses a horse because of a nuisance caused by a varmint and want to eradicate the cause, the statistics don't really matter to him.

I don't own a ranch, or horses, but do like help my friends with problems that fall in my skill set.

If you would like to write a paper, I'm not sure how you'd go sourcing or researching that but good luck.

Gunny - First, a big thanks for your inputs, you're covering areas I've not thought of, as well as jogging my memory in others. Thanks again.

I elected for the first site due to the ease in which a range could be estabished there. The canopy is masking what is really there (or, in this case, what isn't there). It's a large meadow with excellent backdrops with an access road. Plus,a nearby and established camping area not far away.

I've also added another thought to my notes of a adding in a 100 yard tree stand range which could be morphed in...the height off of the ground does not need be that great, no more than a few feet so that the Range Officer can stay in control of the shooters. The big ticket item here, would be teaching the major elements of tree stand safety...

"The big ticket item here, would be teaching the major elements of tree stand safety..."

Which around these parts, if what I observe on the ground below tree stands is any indication, is how to safely climb down (and possibly up as well) while drunk.

Edit: Gunny, you can't write a paper if there's no data to be collected. When I did a quick Google search this was the first link:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-532729.html

(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Le....the other thing to consider is being a good neighbor.....

One of our scout camps has a neighbor that has a gun range on it.....They shoot many things over there, many that would be illegal for most citizens....My point is we go to camp and it sounds like world war 3. Those folks shoot solid from bout 10 am till dark....

I would not shoot for hours or even back to back weekends......

Once you build a range other folks will use it when your not around, unless it is very close to an occupied home.

So what about insurance and Instructor status???? How heavily insured is the land owner or the guy putting up the tree stands????

Stuff happens.

Thanks for the nod, le Voyageur. Glad to be of service. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Pack,

I've seen the Vacumn truck video before, probably actually more effective at removal but you still have the relocation/ disposal issues to deal with. And if disposal, is a humane method used to dispatch? IDK...

I've also heard the loss of carrying capacity due to loss of grass near the burrows but that wasn't an issue I've been exposed to. I don't know about the bigger picture on the stats of how often the horse injuries due to this occur. Even the one in life incident could have been something else that happened in proximity and got blamed on them... Again IDK and at best is only one data point.

Best comment on the link provided was along the lines of, but not a direct quote, At least it keeps the crazies occupied.

• 7 years later...