Florida Sea Base - Big Munson Island????

I happened to stumble across this little nugget:

"In December of 1982, a gift was received by the National Council of the Boy Scouts of America which was destined to change the very nature of some of the exciting programs offered by the Florida Sea Base. The gift was an untouched, uninhabited island over 100 acres in size, surrounded by the crystal clear water off Big Pine Key in the lower Keys."

I had no ideas that the BSA owned a 100 acre island in the. Florida keys.

Cool, huh?

Ah yes, I remember...

Very hot and humid in the campsite. But a short walk out to the beach let you be cooled off by an ocean breeze.

Scrawny little racoons that would try to sneak up and steel food right out of your hands. Make eye contact with them and they would freeze as if by being motionless you could not see them.

Hermit crab races kept the scouts entertained for hours.

Key Deer that were so small they appeared to be dogs.

No-see-ums that would travel in clouds. As the cloud passed your skin you felt hundreds of tiny pin pricks.

Poison wood trees with bark that could cause a reaction much like poison ivy. That pealing bright orange bark seemed as if the tree could not even stand its own bark.

Those annoying tarballs that washed up on shore. Very difficult to get off your shoes.

Hanging wet socks out on a tree branch while going out on activities and finding them gone when you returned. What creature took off with those?

Kayaking in the maze of mangrove swamps.

Snorkeling on reefs where the colors are more intense than any photograph I have seen.

(This message has been edited by NealOnWheels)