Permanent "National Jamboree" site?

Gee, I've lived in Va all my life...never realized it was "one notch this side of hell"...

As a kid, i was never able to go to Philmont, due to the cost of getting there, 2000 miles away. Our council contingent always went by bus, and it was a 3 week evolution. So I guess we're even.

I lived in the Santa Fe area, and got up there once for a training weekend. I had just enough time between classes to LOOK at the Tooth of Time and go to the store. That's why the thirty-five year old bull on my jacket doesn't overlap the seam, nor will the one on my new jacket.

What we need is more Scouts becoming the next Bechtels, then we could see purchased other great locations for Scouting adventure, right? My guess if we take a look at the population "center" of the country, the location in WV is not too far off. They did put the center of our nation's government right here where you'd fly into for coming to the Summit, so what's the deal with the location - it is not like it's a place you'd be coming every year. In a Scouting career, age 14 to 18 (when eligible for the Jamboree), there is only one chance to attend the Jamboree as a youth since the event only happens once per 4 years. So what difference does it make that the Jamboree is held in only one location - it is always a new location for the boys eligible to go. If the location rotated, and during my eligible time the Jamboree was across the country, that is still the only opportunity to go as a youth participant.

Papa, that was said in jest......but for those who don't live 24/7 in a humid climate, they end up wondering why anyone finds it "desireable". I live in Oklahoma and we have our hot and humid days too. I sweat profusely, indoors in the air conditioning when it's humid. My inlaws live in New Mexico and I always love visiting because even when it's over 100, I don't sweat. Yes, I know it is simply vaporizing off of me skin, but it's much more comfortable and socially acceptable. ;) As the saying goes, "it's a dry heat" and it does make a difference.

HWGA...

One of the finalists in the NSJ sweeps was the Goshen Scout Reservation of the NCACouncil. The idea was to use alarge piece of it for the NSJ and the rest (and all of it off times?) could be used for local council camping and training stuff. But the local county folks lobbied hard against it (for many reasons), so our Bechtel heroes came to the rescue, and here we are.

Ideas: *Summit/Philmont alternate sessions.

* Some Rocky Mountain Council offer a large chunk of Scout reservation for a large every eight years event. Charge a reasonable rent, but keep title to it.

* Have regional Jamborees, like ScoutsCanada does. Make them every three years, make the national every five, somewhere, perhaps at a Council camp. Make them low impact, camping afairs, bring your own tent. Local Councils gain prestige, good PR, maybe a little income for their camps thereby, bidding for the privilege. Why else does a city go thru the agony of the Olympics?

So: a gradation of camping: Individual, Patrol, Troop, District Camporee, Council whateveroree, Regional Jamboree, National Jamboree, WORLD Jamboree........

Can't go to the Biggee? Maybe the next biggee is more appropriate.

You can use my idea for free, no charge....

A regional jamboree was sort of what was hosted in Oshkosh, WI in 9/2009: the Great Lakes Centennial Jamboree (I would give a link to the website, but it seems to be offline now). I believe that 10,144 participants were there, and it was supposed to be similar to a NSJ. Maybe something like encampments by area (somewhat similar to OA section conclaves) would work???

Supposedly at one time they were looking at land here in Arkansas outside Little Rock. You can drive 20 minutes or so from the Western edge of town and find lots of acreage. I heard this from people in the Scout office and from land owners in the area they were looking at. Unfortunately we didn't make the final cut, but it would have been nice and would certainly have addressed the central location issue some have talked about.

This is a lot of noise over nothing. Moving it around? Trying to put it in your own back yard? It costs a lot of money to set up a site. Why keep reinventing the wheel? By the way, the age for a Jamboree particapant is 12 thru 20.

BDPT00

BDPT00 - Everyone is entitled to an opinion, including you.

Nobody's opinion here is right or wrong. This "thread" was started to discuss some thoughts regarding a permanent Jamboree site.

Thank you for your thoughts. Have a great day!