Air Temp +/- water temp = Safe to Canoe?

Has anyone heard of a "formula" or rule of thumb where air temp and water temp should be added to or substracted from each other to get a value that should be above a certain number in order to determine if it's warm enough boat?

Plannning a rafting trip in the Alps for some of the Girl Scouts in June.

Yah, yeh can go boating in any weather or temperature if yeh have the right gear for it. Folks sea kayak around the ice all the time in various places.

But the loose rule of thumb goes something like air temperature plus water temperature (in Farenheit) less than 120 degrees poses a real hypothermia risk to adults.

At least that's how I remember it.

Add a wetsuit or a drysuit or even appropriate clothing and of course things change.

Beavah

http://www.maineseakayakguides.com/ - This site says Air Temp + Water Temp < 110 = stay out of the water. http://www.canoeingthenew.com/safety.html - This one says If the combined water plus air temperature is less than 120, wet or dry suits are recommended. If the combined temperatures are below 100 degrees, wet or dry suits should be required. Here at New River Campground Canoeing and Kayaking we believe in following this rule, and will require you to have a wet or dry suit if you wish to go on the river when the combined temps are below 100 degrees.And this one www.boatingsidekicks.com/smartstart.htm says If the air and water temperature don't add up to at least 120 degrees F, you may want a wetsuit

When I did the advanced canoe training my council offers, it was 120 F (49 C). In fact, the day we had to capsize our canoes was right at that (60 for both) and quite windy. Definitely want a windshirt/jacket in those conditions! Had a blast though.(This message has been edited by topshot)