"While the Scouts who see their adult win or do well in a competition will or might see him or her as some sort of super hero? What take home message do the Scouts who watch their adult leader lose bring home?"

Hopefully, they get a lesson in how to be a gracious winner OR looser, whichever the case may be. It was done as a way to spice up an otherwise "boring" hike as defined by most youth. Kids in general do not like to hike for the sake of hiking. They want a goal, be it geocaching, finding a hidden landmark along the trail, etc... My scouts regularly pick up small sticks along the way and play like they are "rough riders" on the trail during hikes.... yes, I know G2SS says you can't use a stick as a simulated gun, but come on... they 'invent' games to play - remember scouting is a game with a purpose?

Heck, the rabbit-n-jackyl hike was taken directly from a "stalking" and tracking game listed in my old BSA handbook!

I think it has more to do with the spirit in which the 'competetion' is done, than the fact an adult is involved. It pushes the youth to try harder, ad it just MIGHT get some of these old scouters to exercise enough to get out of their 3XL size scout uniform for once in their life! I'm not in the best shape, but trying to outrun, outscamper a bunch of 11 year olds is a good motivation to keep after it. Better than standing on the sidelines, drinking coffee and watching the waistline expand!

Heck, we play ultimate frisbee with mixed youth / adult and we have tug-o-war rope at pack meetings. The scouts WANT a dad or two involved and usually want them on the anchor position.

Scouting should be FUN! for all involved and all should be involved, not just directing from the sidelines.... heck, my cubmaster trainer told us all, "Your job is to act like a 12 year old again". Its the best (and only) payment I receive from this job!

"my cubmaster trainer told us all, "Your job is to act like a 12 year old again".

While as adults it is great when we are able to see the world as if we are still the age group that we are working with.

But acting like?

I'm sorry, I couldn't disagree more.

As for adults letting their hair down?

There are times and places for this.

I enjoy a good camp fire and have never refused to join in appropriate songs, skits and the like.

We only have to look at the fuss some adults make during Pine Wood Derbies, to get a snap shot of adults behaving like little children.

Or how upset some people get during Win All You Can The Game Of Life at Wood Badge.

If a group of adults want to complete a pioneering project or orienteering course that Scouts can see as an example of how it's done? That's fine and dandy, but adult competition? Is just far to risky.

Ea.

Mulling it over, I think there are two aspects to consider:

- However the competition is arranged, it shouldn't demean or upstage the scouts

- Whatever the competition might be, is important for scouts to see scouters actually doing something! Very easy for scouts to assume the adults are washed up, sitting around, drinking coffee. To see scouters perform scout skills (fire starting, rowing, running, knot tying, whathaveyou) under pressure, is not only entertaining for the scouts, but also brings respect and motivation. And we are practicing what we preach.

I am sorry. I just realized I left this too vague.

The purpose would be to get the adult leaders away from, (not hovering over), the scouts during their events. The "adult" events would occur at the same time, but in an area different then the scout events. At the end, separate awards would be given to the adults for the various events.

Hope this clarifies a bit.

Acting silly, getting doused with water, taking a pie in the face, participating in the belly flop contest, etc., in the name of good fun and entertaining the Scouts is fine.

I can't see participating in a real competition for our own amusement. That's not what we're there for. I especially can't see taking the resources away from the Scouts just to keep the adults out of the boy's hair. Put them to work running events for the Scouts.

Twocubdad expressed my feeling to the letter.

Without wishing to blow my own horn.

When it comes to most traditional scout skills, I'm fairly good. -Above average.

I'm 100% for me taking the time to teach others the skills I have.

I hope the day never comes when Scouting is about adults winning and beating others along the way.

Eamonn

I guess it depends on the circumstance. I am neither the bravest nor msot athletic guy in any group; and I admit to being overly serious. Sometimes I do things with the boys to (1) prove I am a good sport and (2) even I am willing to try. It is a slippery slope into man-scouts though...

I would think that this would be a great opportunity for the adult leaders to recognize their own skill set strengths and weaknesses, and maybe improve them as well. There are those who think that their skills are strong, but when put to task, can't deliver as well as they thought. This would help encourage them to keep up on their scout skills, which in turn, would help our scouts.

We all know the saying, "those who can't do, teach. Those who can, do".

I also think it be just plain fun.

At summer camp where our troop goes, there is a patrol competition in various skills at the end of the week. The adults of each troop may compete against the other adults in other troop at the same events/skills competitions. I, who had never picked up a bow and arrow in my life prior to that week, came in second in the archery competition among adults that week. That says more about the archery skills amongst the adults generally than it does about me. I would say that the adult competition added to the overall fun.