Gnats, black Flys, May Flies, No-see-ums

What have you found that combats them? Recommended pest controls? personal or area spray? Environmentally safe would be good, but if none, I will drop the LNT in a fight to the death with them.

I used the Black Fly spray with skin-so-soft in it "from Avon" it has always worked in my back yard during spring gardening. But when I went to our BS camp in May, it was ALOT more buggy, and didn't help much.. I know our participants had other bug sprays, but it seemed they were "bugged" also.. We mostly took our training indoors whenever possible, to move away from these pests.. (it was also raining on & off, but I think the bugs were more the issue)..

Going back to the BS camp for training again in May, but I believe I might be up there about 3 weekends this May, instead of just one.. I really don't want to deal with the welts these buggers leave for the whole month..

Besides my using it, I would like to make recommendations to our participants so they can concentrate on the training rather then the bugs..

When I've been canoeing or camping in places with these miniature monsters, I've had the most success using a hat and headnet kind of method. The sprays don't work so well for me since when they are out it is usually also HOT, meaning most anything I spray on will be quickly sweat off.

Change date from when bugs are worst to when they are not around or their natural enemies are present.

Mid March, early April before bugs and mud season.

Mid June on, depending on rain, things tend to get better.

Change location (habitat) to an area less buggy, maybe sea coast (breezy, good venue to tell WBers to go fly a kite :) )

Pray for wind. As mentioned, fans work too. When Mel Gibson was filming Man Without A Face in Maine, his film crew setup large fans to blow away the black flies and mosquitoes during filming.

My $0.02.

I'm one of those persons blessed by being unappetizing to insects. Or so it seems. I never use any kind of repellent and only get a few mosquito bites, even in the tropics. But then, I've never had to contend with blackflies. That might be a challenge.

That said, if I'm ever in your area I hope I stick close to you. It sounds like you're great bug bait. ;)

Edit: I guess I need to mention that mayflies don't bite. They're kind of annoying when they're attached all over you but they don't do anything to cause injury.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Alas once date & time is set and in the Council Calendar, I don't change as it is the #1 thing our participants will complain about.. Calendar for the next year was set before the past years May training took place, so stuck with that this year..

The other training is a "special" woodbadge course I have been asked to help staff.. Our normal WB is in the Fall. Dates set in stone. Only one WB per year.. This woodbadge is a once in a blue moon offering (as our council can not support 2 WB courses per year).. But it is to help the LDS Adult Leaders, Jewish as the normal one falls on a major Jewish holiday, and other various people who just are always booked with something during the Fall dates..

I was excited I was asked to be a Troop Guide as I didn't think I would be asked again.. I figured Scribe was going to be the only thing I would be deemed a "good fit" for.. But, then I recalled the month it is happening in.. 3 Fri/Sat sessions.. All in May.. I have no control over that date.. The only thing I can hope for is that only the first weekend which is at our camp, the other 2 weekends are at a camp in a more rural area.. I have never been to that camp.. They will have the little buggers, but it might be like my backyard garden again..

Imagine doing the "Listening to Learn" outside.. And asking "What do you think might be distracting you from listening to the speaker???".. (I will give you a million guesses and they are all flying around your face, nipping at your nose, and dive bombing into your ears..)

If you can't plan around black fly season then use a Permethrin repellent on your clothes (NOT on the skin - Sawyer makes a good product) and for exposed sking use either 100% Deet or, if you're not into putting something on your skin that can melt synthetic cloth, Picaridin (Cutter Advanced). Wearing long pants and long-sleeved shirts helps too - and when putting on insect repellent, don't just slather it on exposed skin, roll down your socks and put some on then roll the socks back up - roll up sleeves and pant legs too and do the same thing.

In the deep woods of Maine, these critters have now evolved to the point that they dine on anything, and everything that's coated with DEET. Deet products, in my subjective opinion is that they are now worthless. My solution, a Coleman product of which I've forgotten the name of at the moment(can be found at Wally World), but made of natural ingrediants that seems to work well when teamed up with a bug shirt...

http://www.bugshirt.com/diagrams.htm(This message has been edited by le Voyageur)

Northern NH is neighboring Maine.. I thought our yard was bad as compared to the cities in NH.. But, when I went to our BS camp last spring, that had my yard beat!..

The clothing thing sounds good.. I will look up the Wally World product also.. I might bring the DEET stuff also, but I think some of the participants had bug spray with DEET, and the bugs didn't care..

I know we had a small container of something that seemed real good years back..Small bottle but you didn't have to slather it on, it was more like dabbing on neck & wrists and ankles.. Thing is you smelled like someone pissed all over you.. Not only did it keep the bugs at bay, people ran from you, and you were trying to run away from yourself, you smelled so bad!

Might still have that buried deep in the closet. I know I see it once in a while.. You just ask yourself "Are you that desperate??" To-date the answer has been "No"..

packsaddle, we must smell similarly. I, too, am apparently unappetizing to six-legged critters. I am rarely bothered by mosquitoes, have no problem with chiggers and have never once in my life been bitten by a tick. This despite being in a profession which regularly takes me into critter habitat (not to mention camping with the troop). OTOH, I am open season for any bio-attack from the Plant Kingdom - poison ivy is my bane and pollens knock me flat.

I do know as a diabetic that when my blood sugar is really high for several days I seem to attract some bugs. I know then my body is shedding sugar as fast as possible in my urine I suspect my sweat may be as well. Dang sugar gets in everything!

When my Blood Sugar is in control I seem to attract less bugs. Not no bugs just less.

Best defense is to camp with a guy more bug attractive then you!

I have had a modicum of success with taking garlic tablets. While now it is also a supplement for generic health, I began using it years ago for camping. Take a few days ahead of time daily, then take it at least once a day at camp, twice if really buggy. Since doing this, have had far less issue with most insects. Horse flies do not care, and no see-ums still swarm, but appear to not like me when they land.

Reality is that if you camp, bugs are part of the coping process. I saw one guy with one of those hat fans, and he did not have many bugs around his head; do not know about other exposed areas. Of course, as noted, netting and protective clothing is often half the battle.

"I know we had a small container of something that seemed real good years back..Small bottle but you didn't have to slather it on, it was more like dabbing on neck & wrists and ankles.. Thing is you smelled like someone pissed all over you.. Not only did it keep the bugs at bay, people ran from you, and you were trying to run away from yourself, you smelled so bad!"

Sound like you might be describing "Ole Time Woodsman" - an insect repellant made in Maine that was powerful stinky enough to keep Moose and Bears away, and well as anything else in a 3-county area - and we're taking counties the size of Delaware.