looking for a place by the Wisconsin Dells

Our troop is planning a ski trip in Feb to Cascade Mountain, just south of the Wisconsin Dells. We want to make a weekend of it and are looking for a place to camp. Preferably cabin camp since it is still winter. We were planning a Boy Scout Camp near Janesville but they are booked solid. Any Ideas?

You may check with Indian Mounds Reservation (Milwaukee County Council)_The camp is in Oconomowoc, between Madison and Milwaukee. Lots of cabins, but I'm not sure if they are all booked. 414-774-1776. Oops - they are now Three Harbors Council after a merger.

The Three Fires Council operates Camp Freeland Leslie in Oxford, WI, which is about 45 minutes north of Cascade Mountain. They do offer a cabin for camping. But it's a very popular base for Scouts to use while visiting some of the Dells attractions, including Cascade Mountain, so it too may be booked through the winter. But maybe worth a try.

When we went to Cascade, we found a church that would allow us to use their basement. We 'tailgated' in their parking lot. Unfortunately, I don't have the records as to what church it was. We gave the church a donation as a thank you.

Mauston has a BSA camp, Can't remember it's name, it has changed since I was a kid. Glacier's Edge council runs it out of Madison. Oxford is nice if you can get in as well. Otherwise check churches in the area as has been mentioned. I don't know if Mirror Lake SP has any winter camp cabins, but there is Rocky Arbor SP and Devil's Lake SP there as well. Check the state website for winter cabins.

Check some of the resorts in the area, they do group discounts in the winter. Kalahari is a big one with the indoor waterpark and the Black Wolf near there as well.

If you wish to consider Mt. La Crosse instead. Gateway Area Council has a BSA camp Decorah near that slope. I don't know how available the cabins are because it is heavily used in the winter as well.

Stosh

Thanks for all the great ideas. We went with the church option and found a church near Madison that will let us crash in their basement for the weekend.

For all those troops that have used churches in the past, let me ask you this: Come Sunday morning, did your troop stay for their Sunday Service as a good gesture or did you just pack up and head home? We will plan on staying and placing an offering during their collection, I'm just curious what other troops do.(This message has been edited by gutterbird)

Churches do these sort of things out of the good will of their commitment to their mission and would not expect anything in return. However, with that being said, I would calculate what it would have cost had one not been able to stay at the church, add a bit for the convenience of the location and give it to the church but ear-mark it as a designated giving to go towards their youth group that may some day be in the same situation that you are. Their kids go on similar trips throughout the country on mission trips, etc. and having a door opened to them is not always available in those situations. Give a gift that passes on the kindness you received.

I would suggest the boys all dress in their scouting finest and attend the church and make the donation in person.

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)