So Day Hike.......what do you carry to be prepared?

As the title describes.....

It seems our brother Eagle scout was unprepared skill and material wise for his getting lost in the NH mountains.

So what do you carry and do you feel it is adequate???

My day pack is a decade old kelty with a 3 liter camelback hydration pack. It is always at the ready......It has a resident compass, lighter, personal first aid kit, emergency blanket, Poncho and knife. Basically all I need to do is add a map, food and water and I am good. Recently I have added a whistle to the shoulder strap because of a couple of recent bear encounters.

For an area I am not familiar with I would add some additional food, probably take my hand held gps as well.

Your thoughts......

I usually take:

-Water Bottle (1 liter)

-Key light (in pocket)

-Knife

-Compass, whistle on lanyard

-Pencil and paper

Daypack with:

-Backup water (at least a liter)

-Small First Aid Kit+moleskin

-Meds for 24 hours

-Small Survival Kit (s-blanket,firestarter,etc)

-Small bug spray,sun screen

-My Diabetic supplies

-Map

For me, it depends on conditions. Minimum is water, a whistle, firestarting equipment (hotspark), cellphone, pocketknife, and small first aid kit (mainly bandaids, etc.) Usually also have rain jacket. If I were going to the mountains (instead of coastal forest), I'd add an emergency blanket, compass, more tinder, and a map.

The 10 essentials are a given, maybe a bandanna, muti uses for it. Extra socks,extra water if no water on trail. firestarters.Depending on where and when we go a little more in pack, as you know, something could go wrong even with planning.

It all depends. I use my old ALICE pack minus the frame. I do carry the ten essentials: knife, personal first aid kit, map and compass, knife, trail mix, light, poncho, etc. In addition I have my survival kit that I store in a M-14 magazine pouch. I also carry a weather radio.

With the family I carry a lot more food and water, as well as some books or cards to keep the kids occupied.

With the scouts, I usually carry a larger first aid kit.

Depending upon how I'm feeling, and if I have space for it or not, I bring my stave.

I know this is spun off the NH incident about and Eagle not being prepared. But I do want to tell you about another Eagle, one I know.

This guy was the epitome of what the sterotypical Eagle should be. He loved the outdoors, taught at summer camp (I want to say camping and wilderness survival), and and knew his stuff. Anyway one summer he decided to work at one of the national parks. And on his day off he decided to hike on his own. You would think that's no problem, but he screwed up: he didn't tell folks where he was going or when to expect him back.

So he goes on his hike, and something happens. I don't remember the particulars, but he ended up on a ledge with a broken leg and could not get out. No one knew where he was, and he was not reported as missing until he didn't show up to work 2 or 3 days after the incident. Somehow, again I dont' remember particulars, it was decided that he probably went hiking on his own, and a search was conducted. He was found on the 7th day.

He did bring the essentials he learned as a Scout, and a few extras, in a day pack. While injured and hungry, he treated himself for first aid, had food that he was rationing out, and had supplies in his daypack to stay warm, get water, and purify it. He came out OK.

I remember seeing him a year afterwards at summer camp with his troop. Yes I good naturedly ribbed him a little as he was a friend of mine from high school, but I listened to his first hand account and filed away that knowledge. And if memory serves, he talked breifly at the Wilderness Survival MB class that week about his expereince.

Good lesson. I usually also bring a rain-jacket/windbreaker in a pouch and my walking stick.

Ever since my I have gotten serious about managing my Diabetes (which hiking is great for) I have gotten better at planning and preparation; my conditions can get more serious quickly than before.

I guess I have a bit of a different take on this. For the most part, the "10 Essentials" are useless items unless the scout is skilled and experienced in how to use them. For me "Be Prepared" means you have the knowledge to be safe, not just a collection of items which may or may not be of benefit when needed.

I am not knocking the "10 Essentials" list. Only reminding that "Be Prepared" is not an equipment list.

Pocketknife, appropriate clothing, some rope, water, a way to make fire...I'm good. Really, I've never worried much about rescue when I've gone out alone, at least not in the last 20 years. I don't take foolish chances or unreasonable risks. I might get unlucky someday and a tree falls on me or something...but since that's already happened, the chances of that happening again are slim to none. If the last sensations I ever feel are cold rain or snow on my face, or leaves being blown over my prostrate, nearly dead body, I'll die with a smile.

V. There's no such thing as "a" personal 1st aid kit. You should have one stashed in every gear bag you have.

One thing I try to leave behind: a hike plan! Don't clear your patrol to go without one!

All great inputs.

I also try to have a stock of items at the end of the trail (car, camp, house) that might be needed (just in case). Extra water and food, gatorade, more first aid supplies, charged cell phone, dry clothes. Or an indulgence, like moon pies.

I have my "personal" first aid kit I can jam in a pocket or attach to my belt, a bigger one (size of an otter box) I might leave at base camp, and we have a big Troop one.

I like what some Troops have done and having a "health officer" position who carries and maintains a Patrol first-aid kit on hikes.

Yah, I agree with Buffalo Skipper, eh? Knowledge is more important than gear, and can substitute for some gear.

For me, it's always sufficient layers to spend a not-too-uncomfortable night out, full rain gear, headlamp, first aid kit, knife, water (and at least a method or two to purify more), food/gorp, map & compass, somethin' to start fire with, and some sunscreen/insect repellent/head net if need be. All that can fit in a light pack or fanny pack and come in under 5-7 lbs. No hassles.

I'm not a phone/GPS'er. Batteries tend to die too quickly and the things just annoy me. Easier just to navigate straight away from da terrain and a map. I'm also like packsaddle, and don't worry at all about solo hiking/paddling/sailing. When solo I know my limits and stay well within 'em, and if some random act of God gets me, well, He's welcome to come get me whenever He thinks it's time. Mrs. Beavah is well provided for, and I'd rather spend my last hours in the woods than some hospital bed hooked up to machines that go beep.

Beavah