How did they EVER survive?

Stosh,

I got what you're saying. Of course it's easier to travel by yourself or maybe with friends and/or family. With all of Scouting's rules and regulations and the obvious limitations of a Troop of 10, 20, 40, or 50, you become limited, and not very flexible. Transportation also becomes a big problem.

I'm glad that you've opened up you outdoor adventures again. You gave a lot to Scouting and I know your former Scouts have lots of great memories. Enjoy. I'm getting that your current and only position in the BSA is as a Unit Commissioner? Great. They are few and far between in my District/Council.

I was a Scoutmaster for my old Troop for over 33 years. They taught me a lot and kept me fairly young. Church support disappeared for political reasons and I resigned. Most of the Scouts left that summer. After two years, I was asked to start a community Troop in the same area as my old Troop. We picked up most of our old Scouts, and they are the foundation of the new Troop. Good times.

It's hard work, and camping has to be planned as you know. Youth are taught to learn to lead. It's slow but it's happening.

My wild solo camping days are over. Limited financials and physical well being, are slowing me down a bit. But I'm moving ahead. I hope that in the future, an opportunity will come, where you might get back involved on the Troop level. You have much left to give. Please keep an open mind.

WWW,

sst3rd

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kind words sst3rd, but I'm still in Scouting. It's just hard to imagine all the opportunities the boys are missing as I sit on the sidelines. I didn't mind doing what I could and struggled for 30 years at it. I'm not done yet, so if something opens up, I'm still available. I have been mulling around the idea of a well-run Venture program of doing just what I like doing the best. My comments were not a reflection backwards, but a reflection of what I see now and how much the boys are missing out on because of the program, not the logistics. Logistics is a piece of cake, going through program hoops is like pulling teeth. And once one gets through the program hoops, one has to fight the parent, too.

I left a number of jobs because of all the politics that revolve around work, social networks and even scouting. Once that become too much of a burden, it's time to move on to greener pastures. Even with that philosophy, one has to remember that those greener pastures need mowing too, just maybe someday there won't be anyone watching over your shoulder criticizing your every push of the mower.

After being in the scouting program for over 50 years, it is unfortunate that the program has evolved in the direction it has. "Back in the olden days" one did not have to be told to have fun, we did it anyway. :)

Stosh