Communication exercises

I have been having difficulties with the scouts in my troop taking responsibility for and following through on weekly phone chains for communication purposes. I am looking for some type of interactive exercises that I could do as a troop and within patrols that would help the scouts learn about and understand the importance of effective and complete communication. Any ideas would be appreciated.

well this problem is not new. our troop had some of the very same problems. someone asked us if we had done JLT training. we had not. we looked in to it and did end up doing the training with select boys that were in key positions. they then went on and did some training of their own with other boys. this has been the single most effective thing we have done in our troop. it is very helpful. good luck!!!!

Make it a phone loop. Have the last person in the chain call the ASPL or other designate and confirm the loop has been completed. If the ASPL doesnt get a confirmation from each patrol by a set time he has to recall that PL again and find out the problem. The ASPL reports back to you when the chain is complete. Put the onus on the senior boys; make the chain of command go down and then back up. You should only have to make one call and receive one call. Inspect what you expect I always say. Good Luck!

Shortly after our elections I call the new SPL and the two patrol leaders together and talk with them about their new positions. I make it very clear that the chain of command/communication runs from the SM and designated assistants to the SPL to the PLs and to the troop. I make sure they have the phone numbers they need (a roster for each youth leader is a good idea even if you have to make it). We also have monthly meetings with the PLC and me to plan activities and coordinate with each other. I NEVER call troop members personally, that would reduce the effectiveness of the SPL/PL authority. Occassionally things don't get done right...I bet you can guess who I "talk" to...and who he talks to...and who they talk to. Structure starts at the top...set up the system, make sure everyone knows how to use it and then make sure they use it. It'll take about 6 months before it becomes a working system and seems to be the way it's always been done.