Our scouts are considering this as an option for High Adventure next year. After checking out some outfitters it looks like the Samoset council offers the best program for the money.

I was just wondering if anyone on the board has any advice on open water kayaking in general and the Apostle Islands in Wisconsin in particular...................

I haven't done this in a scouting context, but Apostle Islands sea kayaking is an absolutely wonderful trip. If no one with the unit has any open water experience, I would definitely recommend a guide, which it sounds like you recognize.

I know there are some nice outfitters in the area, but can't remember the name of the one we rented from. Whether you could put together something that involved organizing the camping parts on your own for less would just take some research. Sorry I don't have anything more specific to offer.

The NPS website has much useful information: http://www.nps.gov/apis/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Best wishes with this. Our scouts are just getting interested in paddlesports, and I'd like to see them plan something like this, or Isle Royale or BWCA, but more likely in 2 years.

(This message has been edited by the blancmange)

For open water kayaking there are a number of training programs/seminars. These seminars go far beyond the river/lake kayaking needs. Fast water and rapids don't scare me half as much as a squall hitting in open water. The dynamics are two entirely different animals and just because some kid paddled a lake or two in a 8' kayak doesn't mean he's anywhere near ready for open water in a 18' kayak when it rolls over. Lots of prep, seminars, and training need go into it before considering something other than paddling out to the Indian pictographs on a Saturday afternoon.

Stosh

I was suprised to learn how dangerous the waters of Lake Superior were because of HYPOTHERMIA, even in July and August. Steep vertical cliffs with no water exit around the scenic caves, and cold water combine into a dangerous situation.

http://gitcheegumeeguy.blogspot.com/2010/09/kayaker-dies-in-apostles.html

I would definitely consider using an experienced local guide. 47 degree water will take away more than your breath!.

While you're in the area, I can recommend both of the micro-breweries in Ashland!

We are looking into at least a full day of training. There are some local clubs and other offerings in and around Chicago that we are looking into. They seem a little pricey but considering the risks perhaps not.

We spoke with a scoutmaster who had just come back from a trip there with a small crew. The Samoset council sends out, what he thought, were two young but serious and deliberate guides. They are equipped with vhf and weather radios and were experienced out on the water. He also recommended that we try to train in the same style of kayak and that we load them with as much gear as we would be hauling on the trek.

Anything else I'm missing?