As far as a sleeping bag goes, actually I am not going to be using one. I am switching to top quilts. If you are not familiar with TQs, they are like a sleeping bag with a V cut back (bottom), following the practice that any down or synthetic insulation on which you sleep (compress) does not provide you but a very negligable amount of insulation. Your sleeping pad should provide you with sufficient warmth/insulation from the ground. These are popluar amongst hammock sleepers and ultralight enthusiasts.

With winter approaching, I will be getting a 20 TQ, which weights just about 20 oz. As the weather warms, I will pick up a 40 TQ (15 oz). I will loan one of these to my son when he goes to Philmont next summer. It is easy to supplement with a additional clothing layers to get camp in temps below the rated temps. Thus carrying a 15 oz TQ is much better on the back (pack weight) than a 2-3 lb synthetic sleeping bag.

We did some planning, and figured out he could get a base weight of around 11-12 lbs (minus clothing) before adding food, water and fuel. This includes the entire tent (not divided) AND a 10x12 silnylon tarp. But it also assumes a minimal amount of cooking gear for simpler meals which only require boiling water and no clean up.

As for food, I have plenty of resources of experienced Philmonters here from whom I can seek advice. I just felt it was quicker and easier to poll the campfire gang first to get some ideas. Thanks for all the input, and feel free to keep the ideas coming. :)(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
>>Did you ask them?>...But what really surprised us was the weight of our personal gear in the Northern Tier treks. We easily had one less bag per canoe than most crews simply because of our backpacking experiences. Duluth packs are rather large, so that is a lot of gear we left behind compared to other crews.>...He was carrying approximately 32 lbs + food and water.
Personal two man tents are allowed ... have used person tents on 3 treks 1976, 2007 and 2009. And my Troop used personal two man tents in 2011 as well. Must be a tent, not a tarp though.
  • 2 weeks later...

I would advise against the one man tent - while the on-the-ground-enforcer of rules is your Ranger, they reportedly vary in their enforcement.

Ours in 2010, one of the worst Bear incident years in quite a while, would NOT have allowed us to go on the trail with one person tents. His stated rationale was that the two man tents especially when set up in a group, look like something the Bear doesn't want to investigate. A one person tent looks like a snack size burrito.

All of that said I really like the TT Rainbow and would like to have one for myself now that the kid is moving on to other activities for now. But my son and I together and separately have always used an ALPS Mountaineering Extreme 3 at Philmont (because we have it, because we often keep all of our gear IN with us, because it has been our primary home away from home for about 6 years, because it is bombproof, and because he was willing to carry it - 8+ pounds)

I would advise against the one man tent - while the on-the-ground-enforcer of rules is your Ranger, they reportedly vary in their enforcement.

Ours in 2010, one of the worst Bear incident years in quite a while, would NOT have allowed us to go on the trail with one person tents. His stated rationale was that the two man tents especially when set up in a group, look like something the Bear doesn't want to investigate. A one person tent looks like a snack size burrito.

All of that said I really like the TT Rainbow and would like to have one for myself now that the kid is moving on to other activities for now. But my son and I together and separately have always used an ALPS Mountaineering Extreme 3 at Philmont (because we have it, because we often keep all of our gear IN with us, because it has been our primary home away from home for about 6 years, because it is bombproof, and because he was willing to carry it - 8+ pounds)

"Snack size burrito" [snicker]

Yeah, regiment style and keeping your smellables to zero is paramount!

• 3 months later...

3 crews back from Philmont. Everyone had a good time. Was concerned a few adults who went did not take training seriously and were over-weight (very over-weight). They struggled but made it...and hopefully learned that they need to drop 50lbs if they ever do that again.

Sadly, two leaders with two other crews were not so lucky. One died of a heart attack. The other we suspect died under similar circumstances but nothing official from Philmont.

Encourage your leaders to REALLY get in shape, have a detailed set of cardio work done and do it AT LEAST a year in advance so you have time to get in shape. It ain't worth going to such a wonderful place only to go on a one-way ticket. Philmont *IS* a tough place...and we ain't 20 anymore and bullet-proof.

I did Philmont at age 50. I did okay, but I weighed 175# and had trained for 9 months prior. I could run up and down hills all day long with a 50# pack on. Hit the thin air of Philmont and it was a whole different story. At 17 weighing 135# I don't know if it would have been any different. But if I were 200#+ I don't know what I would have done, it would have been miserable. We took the most difficult trek, the 5 major peaks of Philmont. Now that I'm 63, I don't think I would attempt it anymore. :)

Stosh