Webelos camping with Troop

I want some others opinions (and I know I can always find those here :) )

How do you feel about a group of Webelos going on a camping trip with a troop when they have no intention of joining that troop? The Webelos will pay their share for food and transportation, will use the troop's gear and of course the troop's time but the parents are pretty sure they aren't going to this troop.

I'm mixed on this one. I normally don't have any problem with webelos going with our troop. In this case though I don't see why they would want to. If they have already made their decision, why not go with the troop they will be joining. This said, I would still let them go as long as it did not interfere with the activities I have planned for the troop members or cost our troop any extra money. I would allow it for two reasons. First, I think it is a good experience for both webelos and boy scouts. Second, You never know how set they are on going to the other troop...you may get some unexpected members.

One other thing...I wouldn't play babysitter, they would still need their own leaders.

The "other" troop does not exist yet. They think they are going to start their own troop. They will have their own leaders.

I'm mixed on it too.....at least they are staying in Boy Scouting, which cannot be said for all Webelos / parents.

Going to start their own Troop? How many Webelos are there in this group?

I think I would take them on a camping trip but they would have to have at least a 5:2 ratio of leaders. In fact, I might require all the dads to be there since they are trying to start a new Troop. This is an interesting situation.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

I cant think of a troop being more helpful, friendly, courteous and kind than when it shares its knowledge and experience with those just starting out on the Scouting trail. It would be a fine learning experience for the new troop members and leaders. (especially the leaders) to have a camp out where expert advice and skill is close by. Sounds like a great idea (especially for the leaders)

I am the Den Chief for our troop, i set up the campouts with our troop and the local Den so they will get use to our rules and all that. I think it is a good idea to let them come with you, however it seems odd they don't want to join. If they keep comming they might decide to join your troop after all. I believe, however it is a rule for Cubs to have something like a 1:1 scout to adult ratio, dunno. Anyway, if they become a nuisance however, I would say goodbye!

I think all the parents (some moms and some dads) will be there with the Webelos. The new troop is being started partly by our Cubmaster. I'm one the Webelos parents as well, but my son IS joining this troop and in fact will cross over the week before the campout. I guess I feel that some are not being up front with the troop, just taking advantage of their generosity. It's there "fall back plan" if the new troop doesn't pan out. The troop will be comprised of a few graduting Webelos, some older boys who dropped out of another troop not long after cross over, maybe a few new boys from the chartering org and 2 or 3 experienced scouts. If they want to do that fine.

I have discussed with the scoutmaster the idea of this new troop so he knew the "competition" so to speak. We spoke about this months ago. He isn't against a new troop, but also has questions about why? Why is the district allowing this when there have been a few new troops fail in the last few years and a couple of other troops with so few boys & adults they can't have an effective program. He has also explained what his troop has to offer and what it takes to get a new troop going.

I am a Cubmaster (prior Webelos Leader) and Assistant Scoutmaster. I see absolutly no problem with your Webelos camping with the Troop. I am a sales person by trade and relish any opportunity to sell my product or my Troop/Pack. In addition the new Troop may or may not get started and your boys may find that the Troop they are camping with is everything that they are looking for. As a Scouter I feel that it is my mission to help every Scout whether they are in my Troop or not.

I think the issue that sctmom is raising here is the issue of good faith. If the hosting troop were being deceived as to the intentions of the Webelos group, that is not scout like. If I understood her correctly the scoutmaster of the hosting unit knows the real intentions of the group and is willing to share the time and resources of his troop anyway. He is to be commended, although there may be better uses of the time of his troop. However that is for him and his PLC to judge.

Lets look at this situation from a different view. Who will benefit from this overnight? The older boys in the troop, they will get to show they leadership skills, teach potentially new boys some scouting skills such as how to set up camp,cook meals,the dreaded clean-up after,experience being around a camp fire and laughing. What would the younger boys learn and experience? This is also a chance for the new adults to see and experience for themselves how an overnight works, they just may change their minds if you guys put on a good enough show. If they don't change their minds you still have passed on and shared your scouting skills for the boys and that is what scouting is supposed to be for. Right!!!

You can tear yourself to shreds wondering what someone's motives are -- don't. If the troop does it because it's the right thing to do, great. If the troop does it in hopes of getting new Scouts, I'm reminded of an old piece of advice which has served me well. "When you do something for somebody, pretend you're doing it for yourself". What does that mean? If you keep the rewards for a good turn internal to you, and you define them, you'll never be disappointed.

Case in point: overseas military troop; all but one of our 2nd year Webelos are moving this summer. Even if they stay in Scouting, it'll be someplace else. Meanwhile, they need their Cub AOL requirements met. For quite a while we've been carting these critters to camporees, had 'em at troop meetings, teaching the skills, having the conferences, knowing full well they're bridging into another troop. And, it's all good.

"A Scout is Helpful..."

The Question I would have for Sctmom is, the Troop that the webelos are going camping with the one that the SM is totally in charge? If so I can see why the parents would want to form a new troop!

My advice is to go and get all the help you can either for yourself or the other parents.

Remember Scouting is for the boys to grow and learn how to be better citizens

I agree with most of the sentiments offered...primarily:

1. The Scoutmaster is to be commended, for what he is doing, in spite of some parents' motivations - is in the true spirit of scouting.

2. It IS the boys who "WE" are trying to help.

3. If this group does start their own troop, then the parents have a resource and obviously a willing one, in the troop they plan to camp with.

Whether they start their own troop or decide to join with their hosts, it sounds like a win -win scenario for everyone.

As someone previously mentioned, a scout is helpful.

As a now-former Webelos Leader, I encouraged all of my boys to participate in the various troop sponsored outings being offered by each of the three troops in our area. Each troop has it's own 'personality' and it is best that the scouts and parents get to know what each troop is like. My own son was sure that he was going to crossover to one troop that we visited with on a campout, but by the time we attended the final troop sponsored event, he completely changed his mind. If the SM and SPL is worth their salt, they realize that it is more important that a Webelos crossover to ANY troop than necessarily just to THEIR troop and they will encourage this.

Let them camp with the troop. Just be open and honest. Everyone benefits.