New leader here, back in scouting after a long hiatus...

How often do you guys take your kids out backpacking (not car camping)?

What about day hiking?

Just wondering, it seems like the scouts of today spend most of there time in the city. Or is it just my neighborhood.

When I was a scout we got out 2 a month, a hike or something like it, and an overnighter. Probably back packed 3-4 times a year. 1 winter camp, random biking trips.

The last troop I was a leader in we backpacked once a month.

Eh?

Lots of different factors will come into play here. For one location (geography and climate). If you are in an area where longer trails are limited, or there are fewer shorter trails, then the troop may not get out as much with either day hikes or overnight backpack treks. Also it depends on your leaders. If few leaders want to hike, this may also limit the opportunities.

Our troop backpacks 2x a year (Warm up in December and a 3 day/night trek in January, further from home). In Utah, Dec/Jan would likely be too cold or snowbound to safely hike, but our summers are limited due to extreme heat and humidity. It is challenging to hike in 95 weather with 90%+ humidity. Dayhiking in such conditions can be draining.

Preparing scouts and easing them into hiking and backpacking is often best. Throwing them over their heads may be met with resistance and a bad experience which may not want to be repeated.

Our troop here in Oklahoma plans 2 per year. I pretty much tell the PLC they have to work in a fall and a spring backpacking trip. Usually November and March. We are constrained by access to good backpacking trails. Arkansas has loads of them, but at 3 or 4 hours away, it is hard to do more than that. And, like someone else here has said, summer is too hot at 95+ degrees.

Add to that the fact that our scouts want to do a variety of things. We have a campout for skying in Missouri, rocketry, canoe trip, an event called Trappers Rendezvous, Webelos Woods, summer camp... And they should decide.

When I was SM we did something like:

Jan: indoor/rock climb/basketball/trampoline etc

Feb: Snow camping

Mar: Car camp

Apr: District Camporee

May: Backpack

Jun: Backpack

Jul: Summer Camp

Aug: High adventure backpack

Sep: Backpack

Oct: Backpack

Nov: Nat'l Forest cabin

Dec: day hike/bike/something or other..

But even the car camping we treated as a backpack/lightweight trip, ie.. backpack stoves/gear but not backpack food eh? ;-)

New leadership in the troop includes a BLM River Guide/Compliance Officer, so this year several canoe/kayak trips are being planned in lieu of backpacking..