Camping without going to the Camping store

SSScout, one thing you might try for a light weight pot is "the grease pot" from Kmart. A friend that hikes the AT often recommend it and I have to say it is a reasonable alternative for around 6 bucks..

I also also seen some large aluminum can pots used (modified fosters, Heineken empties) but I not so sure if you would do anything beyond boiling water in them.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Camping without going to the camping store!?!?

Sure, I could, but why???? The camping store is fun, I love to walk around, drool, buy stuff, try it, learn I may not have actually needed all those fancy features, learn that some of those fancy features don't really work, learn that some of those features really do work and when you want one particular feature it can be really nice to have.

Camping without the store? You might as well ask if I'd like to go camping in the rain without a raincoat. Sure, you could do it.

[Leans back, closes eyes, imagines himself walking around store...] Ahhhhhh

The "Grease Pot" is a black (on the outside ) aluminium container with the word "Grease" embossed into the lid. The name Kmart gives it is "Grease Strainer" and the label has this part number 0-40734012-4.(This message has been edited by oldisnewagain1)