Hello all - a couple of years back, my son earned the Triple Crown patch for attending all three of the BSA's High Adventures (Philmont, Northern Tier, and Sea Base). Today it hit me that there are now four High Adventures, with Summit being added. What happens to the Triple Crown now? It was such an awesome patch and he was so happy earning it.

I think the triple crown award should still be given -- just award it for any three of the four.

Sure, it may make it a little easier to earn it, but that's only because the chances of one of the bases being close to home are higher.

Regardless, I'll bet there'll be a patch redesign. I'd be proud to see them add either a red-tail hawk or turkey vulture.(This message has been edited by qwazse)

Hello,

The Triple Crown of High Adventure award (TCA) is not being discontinued or immediately changing. The purpose of the award is to promote all National High Adventure programs to our youth members. Not to simply purvey an award patch. We also want to have an award for youth that is reasonably within reach to earn. While the Charles L. Sommers Alumni Association (SAA) will likely issue a new award for those who have been to all four national high adventure programs, it will not be used to change or shift away from the purpose of the TCA.

However, the fact there will be a fourth high adventure base is not really new since there have been several National High Adventure programs that have opened and closed that qualify for the award (Wisconsin National High Adventure, Maine National High Adventure, and Land Between the Lakes National Outdoor Center).

In the future when the new national high adventure base opens (expected around 2015) the Board of Directors of the SAA will likely choose to recognize High Adventure programs at The Summit as an option for the award. This only applies to High Adventure programs, Jamboree experiences would not qualify.

You can find out more at http://www.holry.org/triplecrownaward.php#Summit

Thank you!

Thank you for the information. The Triple Crown, besides being good-looking, did inspire my son to reach beyond his normal activities and exert himself, so I think it served a very good purpose. Here's hoping it does the same for other scouts for years to come.

Sorry, catching up on some old reading I have missed.

When I saw "Triple Crown" my first thought went to the (unofficial) Triple Crown of backpacking: The Appalachian Trail (2168 miles, Pacific Crest Trail (2645 miles) and the Continental Divide Trail (2558 miles).

I wonder how many National Camping Award Hiking rockers that would be good for....?

Silly idea all the way around, merely creates a status symbol only obtainable by the wealthy. Most families do well to get a scout to one base. The only accomplishment this represents is tapping the parents deep pockets. Add a requirement that the scout raise all the funds for the trips, and it would be a valid award.

I agree that the High Adventure trips can be costly. One thing my son did to keep the costs down was that, for Northern Tier and Philmont, he went as part of an OA Trail Crew. It's a lot cheaper, plus he did some good hard work while he was there. I've been recommending trail crews as a less expensive alternative and a good experience to everyone in our troop.

• 2 weeks later...

A agree about the OA trail crew opportunities, they are one of the few things the OA is getting right these days. National needs to again restore the OA to its place as BSA Honor Camper Society, and put in back under the National Camping Committee, and let it again become a vibrant, rewarding, part of BSA but thats another topic entirely.

• 2 weeks later...

"Silly idea all the way around, merely creates a status symbol only obtainable by the wealthy. Most families do well to get a scout to one base."

Only took me 34 years to earn my Triple Crown. I was able to attend two of the National HA bases as a boy and the third as an adult. Troop had fund raising events and paid for the trips completely seperate from family expenses. Each was a challenge mentally and physically. They have provided me experiences and skill sets that I can use and share with the scouts in my troop. While you may think of it as a status symbol, I think of it as a valuable training experience that helps me to provide a better program for the troop I serve.

Our troop sends a crew to a High Adventure base each summer, rotating through the current 3 bases. By having attended all 3 bases, I can help parents to better understand the benefits. Our scouts hold fund raising events to pay for their trips. The costs only amount to $110 a month for year. Disable 3G phone service for Jr. and you have met half the cost. Maybe Jr. only attends every other year to give him more time to earn the money. Still could attend at 14 yr, 16 yr, and 18 yr as a youth.

Scouting is not and never has been free. I have spent 2-3 times as much a year for my son to play sports as it takes to attend a HA base.

wow it only cost $110 per month for a year....... So I am going to guess your program cost $2,000 or more per year???? WOW

Brother that is a ton of money for scouting........plus gear?????

Our program doesn't cost $500 including resident camp.

As pointed out another award for the rich.