Sleeping bag for Philmont

I have been asking people that I know questions about a sleeping bag for Philmont. No one can give me a straight answer to my question.

I am trying to get a sleeping bag for Philmont and I want to know what is a good weight range. I know the following obvious points in looking for a sleping bag

Lighter is best

Pounds = Pain

OK I got those points. But what I am asking is, what is a good weight range?

Can someone give me a straight answer. I am not a rich man, so the $400 sleeping bag is out of the question.

Most recommendations for Philmont I've seen are for sleeping bags rated for 30F. With that kind of rating, there are a slew of bags to choose from, even in the 2lb to 3lb range. Campmor, I think, has a down bag that runs about $100. Eureka has a synthetic that runs about $50. But don't forget to check into the ScoutDirect discount with Alps Mountaineering. Good prices, good quality. Closer to the 3lb weight, though.

I bought the other half an ALPS Mountaineering bag for under $75 on sale form REI. 25 degree rated and about 3 pounds. SHE LOVES IT.

I got Eureka 20 degree rated one via Campmor for under $80. It is approx 3.5 pounds, but is a LONG which is what you will need. I like longs b/c A) I am in that height range where some regulars are too short, and B) I like the extra room to store stuff at the foot and keep warm.

BUT YOU DEFINITELY NEED A LONG :)(This message has been edited by Eagle92)

TWO

Thanks for the reference. I think that I might be getting that one for my daughter.

As for me, I talked with someone today at a local outfitters and we discussed my military sleeping bag and I think I may use that for me. I think that I may use that for myself.

Thank you guys for the help that you have given so far.

Here is a link to the specs that I have found online

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/shtf-survival-disaster-preparedness/159784-military-sleeping-bag-system-surplus.html