As we have all seen, this year Mother Nature has unleashed her fury.

My heart goes out to all who have been affected.

For many years our Council Summer Camp has had in place a bad weather plan.

I really can't say when or if it has been updated or changed in the past few years or not.

For the most part the plan has kinda been looked at as something that was needed but we didn't do a very good job of sharing. I'm not sure if Troops were even given a copy of the plan or not? And Scouts camping received no real training.

Of course the staff at the pool take every precaution when it looks like a storm is coming.

But the campers don't have any drills.

The camp covers a fairly large area and the Scouts are all over the site, so one size doesn't fit all.

The buildings are for the most part old and built on the ground, offering little or no protection from very strong winds.

So does your camp have a real plan?

Are Troops covering what to do in case of really bad weather?

Ea.

After the Little Sioux tornado, our properties committee evaluated all of our camps. As new buildings are added, they are built with storm shelter capabilities - generally concrete basements. In some areas of the camp, section of 8' sewer pipe have been installed (some nested in berms, others freestanding), to serve as shelter areas.

Two years ago, our pack was camping at a nearby camp property, which is typically used for weekend camping (no long-term camp programs are conducted at this facility). The weather was threatening, and we were in a building preparing for our pack graduation ceremony. The campmaster was alerted to a tornado warning by the weather radio. We were evacuated to the storm shelter (even though we were already inside). The weather passed us by, but did strike adjacent areas in the county.

I have heard of similar experiences from other local units. I know that local units participating in long-term camping at other properties have reported being evacuated to shelters when warnings are issued.

So, AFAIK, no training goes on for participants/users. However, staff is trained as to procedures and when necessary, supervises/requires evacuations when necessary.

Our camp goes over the plan (drills included).

Our troop covers what to do (in case boys are isolated).

The harsh reality: none of them would suffice in the conditions that made headlines this week.

If there were a choice I'd take a ditch over an above-ground structure, but there aren't enough ditches!

Time for some camp catacombs?

I confess I like weather.

One of da reasons I go out camping is just to experience weather. It's fun and fascinating. It's still fun and fascinatin' for kids, too, until "ewww, it's icky!" adults beat it out of 'em.

Skin is waterproof. It also comes with nature's best form of air conditioning (aka "sweat"). Yeh can add a bit of artificial fur or feathers and be perfectly happy below zero.

And as this week demonstrated, whether you're inside or out it ain't goin' to matter much when the tornado hits, the lightning strikes, da river overflows its banks or the avalanche comes down the hill. When the Big Bad happens, the differences in odds are just that, eh? Differences in odds. Playin' dice with acts of God. Knew a family some years back that died in a house fire from the lightning hit. They'd have been better off outside. Da Scouts who were killed in Iowa were those that sheltered indoors. And how do yeh guard against the lad out east who was killed by a lightning strike out of the blue that originated 18 miles away?

Spendin' too much time and effort on very low probability act-of-God events will just give yeh ulcers. And along da way, yeh might miss the wonder and awe and delight of the Great Scoutmaster's special gift to scouts: Weather.

Beavah

sitting on the back porch tonight with a nice cigar and glass of bourbon, watching the storms roll in again. Very relaxing.....then the tornado sirens started.

So do I get up and turn on the TV or radio to see whats going on......No, air was moving too much, the clouds weren't churning right......No, I will just sit here and enjoy the cigar till it starts to rain....ya know it never did.

Daughter came out and joined me, The lightening and contrasting clouds were incredible.

Catacombs you need to worry about zombies and minotaurs. hehehehe, boys would love it.(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

Yep...nothing can save you when an F5 hits you square on.

But that doesn't mean I'm gonna go out and stand in a lightning storm holding up my 2-iron either!

In ground shelter is better, just don't dig the hole in the drainage path.

Yeh camping is great especially on a not so fine weather condition. We feel the adrenalin oozing from within our system. But acts of God which brings imminent demise of fellow citizens is a different story. AFAIK, most of the boys on outdoor camphike would wish that they're at home in times like this given the trainings and inspirations.

Speaking of act of God, is there any community activity o' movement from the boys to help fill semi trailers with donated goods for the victims of the tornados that hit Joplin, Missouri?