8 overdue from Arkansas backpack

Mostly a case of those who were not familiar with the group to know what they were capable of, or a helicoptor parent.

I'm not so sure I agree with this. I thought one of the reasons we asked groups to file trip plans was so that appropriate action could be taken should the group not arrive at expected destinations around the expected times. In this case, the Scouts handled the situation the way they should have, and deserve some kudus for putting the motto into practice. But, the other parents and leaders had no way of knowing that, and I think its responsible to escalate the issue when no one's heard from their children for a few days longer than they expected to.

I agree that communication is key. As my username here suggests, I have an amateur radio license, and this seems like a good opportunity to plug the hobby a little bit ;-) A handheld amateur radio is comparable in price to a cell phone, though perhaps a little heavier on average. The range of a typical handheld can be measured in the tens of miles, and chances are this group could have contacted somebody to at least convey that all was well despite their being delayed. If getting a ham radio license is not a viable option, there are other comparable radio setups that don't require a license.

In this particular case a simple "all is well" message would have put the families of the missing scouts at ease, and avoided initiating an expensive S&R operation. But if there had been an injury, or if the weather situation had not subsided to the point where the group could have left the area in a reasonable amount of time, the situation could have changed drastically.

Forunately in this particular case all went well, and the scouts and scouters involved deserve a commendation for their ability to "Be Prepared" and handle the impromptu change in plans. But, another part of "Be Prepared" is to have a plan to get out of a situation when you're in over your head.

I'm not sure a hand held radio would have done any good in that area. It is known for being a dead zone. If I recall when the flood hit last year a state trooper who was camping in the area had to drive up the road in order to get the word out using his police radio.

Eagle69 - That's a possibility, and I don't know the specifics about that exact area. One thing to keep in mind is that the capability of a radio's signal to penetrate through terrain and obstacles is dependent on the radio's frequency and power output. Ham radio offers a variety of combinations of these pieces, and maybe there would be one that works in that area. Another thing to consider is that if the unit's trip plan had included a list of ham radio frequencies that they would use to attempt to communicate with the outside world, the search parties could have monitored those frequencies as they were searching.

Not saying this would be a solution to every single problem that can occur in the back country, but it is one more potential tool that can be considered, and used where it might be helpful.

A SPOT would have given location, and let everyone know they were ok. A SPOT Connect would have even allowed them to send a short text message or email. The SPOT device is just a sender, not a receiver, so no way they could have received any messages back. It is satellite, not cell. See the thread I revived under Equipment for more discussion on that device.

Seems to me every one involved - from the Scouts and their leaders, to the parents, to the search and rescue teams, handled everything perfectly. I'd even go so far as to call it textbook.

The Scouts checked the weather report before starting out and got the green light.

The weather changed, and changed their plans. Instead of trying to make their way out, they stayed put - on high ground - and built a fire to keep warm and dry out. It sounds like they kept a fire watch all night.

The parents reacted properly by informing the authorities that the Scouts had not returned when expected. This wasn't a case of helicoptering, it was a case of folks doing exactly what they should be doing. When I inform my friends that I will be out on a trail, and give my expected return time, I hope my friends will start to worry and report me possibly missing if I'm not back within a reasonable time period after my expected return. 7:00 pm seems reasonable to me.

The authorities sent up helicopters - also reasonable in that that is a faster way to search a wide area that is now difficult to access by foot.

Why the evacuation by helicopter? Off the top of my head, I forsee declining fresh water supplies, declining food supplies, and that waiting for the water level to drop so that the river crossing could be made could take a week or more in this season. The area got hit by 8" of rain in less than 2 days - that water isn't going anywhere fast. Check out the floosing situation in the Cairo, Illinois area - current estimates are that the water levels might not drop to normal levels for another month or so.

This is something the BSA hould hop on right now - they should make this unit the poster boys for the movement.

Having hiked the Eagle Rock Loop several times I would say they (and their parents) did exactly the right thing(s).

That river is fine when normal but is a fast flowing killer when it rains that much in a short time. There is little to no cell coverage so they were smart and stayed put and waited to be found.

Good job.

Can you hear these 6 experianced scouts at the next district camporee when some younger scouts ask about it.

Rescued? Rescued? No way. We were prepared, just like scouting teaches you. We were warm, had food, water and we were just chilling. We only took the helicopter ride because we didn't want to waste the pilots time, and besides the ride was so cool. Now let me tell you about......

And they will go on proudly speaking about how the perservered. This is without a doubt a great teaching moment for younger scouts.

Based on everything I have read and seen the Unit did exactly what they were supposed to before starting out, but mother nature threw a curve at them. I live in Arkansas and believe nobody was predicting a 500 year flood for the weekend on the Thursday before, the forecast just called for rain and some thunderstorms. The group had planned on exiting the woods on Sunday so they assumed they would be gone before it had been raining for awhile. The SM said they still had hot food when rescued, but were starting to ration it some. They were camped on high ground in no danger and were warm and dry. As has been stated everybody did what they were supposed to. It started raining in Arkansas Saturday night and didn't stop until the wee hours of Tuesday morning.