So, the idea of putting my toilet paper into a ziploc baggy then hauling it around for a week isn't really that appealing to me. I was thinking today, how could I get around this... and I thought about the fire screen I'd recently researched for my grandparents chimney top. I could make something like that -- a light little steel box, 4"x4" wide and 2" deep, with a hinged 1/2" (long way) diamond hole grate on the top. Then add a handle to that. Put the burnable stuff in there, light it up. Dump the bit of ashes in the cathole along with the rest of the waste and cover it up. I know that would complies with the California fire code although I haven't checked national regulations for wilderness areas. I'd rather clean some dirty ash residue than clean, well, some other type of residue in case the baggy breaks in my backpack. Ash is a good fertilizer, right? It seems like this would help the rest of my waste be broken down more quickly.

PVC toilet - 4" diameter PVC pipe with solid cap on one end - Screw on cap on the other. 1' for every couple of days. Fill about 1/3rd to 1/2 full of cat litter (use the lighter stuff instead of clay). Instead of using plastic bags, put in pipe, cap on, shake. Good to go. When done just pour out, rinse and you're good until the next time you need it.

Your mileage may vary,

Stosh

How about converting a charcoal chimney into a poop chimney?

Make it, and take pictures the next time you camp, because I know..I mean, we all just know that - a minute or two after you light it, a scout or adult will come along and say something along the lines of: "

I just love the smell of a good fire!"

:)

Even in areas where open flames aren't allowed, you're generally still allowed to use stoves. The only problem I'm seeing at this time, fire code wise, is to get this classified as a stove -- burning solid fuel (loose pellets?) instead of liquified fuel. If I installed a baffle (double hinged top?), there would actually be less flame of any kind compared to a portable liquified cook stove. And "I" wouldn't be making it, it would be one of a suite of products produced by my company, a reputable business. ;)

For those places where I have to pack "everything" out, I'm thinking of just not going. The thought of hauling everything back out with me is rather distasteful. The world is wide -- there are plenty of mountains that I can climb other than, say, Mt. Whitney (and other mountains tend to have much smaller waiting lists).

I guess I could always buy a package of these wag bag things: http://www.rei.com/product/662978/ Anyone have any other suggestions?

It's not the tp, it's what's on the tp. ;) I'm just fine with a fire-sterilized little metal thing (even if I do have to clean ashes out of it instead of just tossing a sealed zip-loc into the trash). That's just my personal inclination -- your mileage may vary. :)

Back in the Nam they used to burn human excrement in 55 gallon drums, they used fuel and burned that poop, I wonder if there could be a backpacker version for the whole package.

Draw backs- hot metal melts camping stuff, and burns skin (errr dont ask how I know blush) so you have to wait for it to cook, then for it to cool this could be a time consuming process.

I think the metal incinerators are gonna weigh a lot more than the soiled T.P., but some lighter wieght metals seam to cool faster too.

Maybe you could use an existing stove?

When I was with the marines I carried two canteen cups, on was my kitchen, and the other my bathroom (shaving etc. ) dont get em mixed up.

I understand your dislike for the stinky, biohazard in the pack with your food and clean clothes and wish you luck,

Please post u-tube videos of the poopcinerator at work,