Ok, I am looking at getting a tent for personal use. I want it so that I can do SCUBA diving without the expense of a hotel room. I am thinking about doing a trip up to Lake Tahoe, or down to Monterrey, or up a couple of the state parks North of San Francisco. I figure we can save some money by not getting a hotel room and use it to rent an extra tank or two.

What are your suggestion? I would like something that comfortably sleeps 2-4 plus gear. I don't think weight matters to much. I don't plan on carrying it very far. It would be good it you can stand up in it, but that really doesn't matter too much. It will just be a place to sleep between dives.

I personally like my Eureka that is over 12 years old. Here are my opinions/advice.

1) Whatever size tent the manufacturer says it is, divide by 2 and that is how many it can fit with gear. Trust me on that one.

2) If you can get a vestibule for storing gear outside your tent, GET IT. Since my Eureka is so old now, I've been told it will be a challenge to get one that fits properly.

sailingpj: We used to have the same problem Until we started pitching our tents with the door facing down hill, now when it rained SCUBA gear is no longer required!

All kiding aside, I like the Eureka Timberline Outfitter series.

Personally, I'd go with a 6-man tent. The one you list is bigger, although maybe that's ok. I also personally will not buy a tent that doesn't have a fly that goes all the way to the ground. I'd also go with a bigger vestibule.

That said, in sunny weather, pretty much any tent will do.

The combination of wind and rain can drive water in from the sides - that's one reason why I prefer flys that go to the ground.

For ordinary wind, most tents do fairly well. I've been through some decent wind with groups of Scouts and families, and we haven't really seen any tents fail under typical wind load. That said, your sturdier tents will have more guy-out points. That will attach the tent to the ground more firmly and it will hold its shape better. It will also reduce flapping of the material in the wind.

I'd go with something like the Kelty Palisade. The google reviews liked the roominess, the vestibule, the set-up, and the solid performance. I'm sure there are other tents like this too.

put simply, the higher the profile, the more likely you will have a parasail than a tent. You'll need put out extra lines to anchor the thing on windy days.

I carry aluminum poles from a retired dining fly to reinforce our rectangular dome tents against the wind when we camp on the beach. A pole goes diagonally across the front of the fly, leaning into the wind.

A variety of stakes is also essential. Sand vs sod vs rock require different style and types of steel. The harsh reality is there's no one-size-fits-all.

If all of that complexity is overwhelming, you may want to just bring a small rack with hooks for a tarp to put over your gear. Park it on the upwind side of your tent as a windbreak.

I looked up the review on the 1210 and the only negative thing I read was it is easier to set up with 2 people. Personally I don't like the level of the tarp above the windows. that leave your water protection up to the sippered inside window flap. But I was not able to find reviews about water problems. That being said look at the alps Meramac FGZF at scoutsdirect.com for a lot less money. That way you can buy more scuba gear.