Back strength traing for NTIER

Rant On.

Once again Eng61 you complain that your son may have to do something that might actually challenge him beyond getting out of the car. Notice this post is in the High Adventure Forum, not the whinners forum. NT is a High Adventure trip. It is for people who WANT to challenge themselves, not sit behind a computer and whine that it will be different than their everyday boring life. A trip for people who think blisters are a badge to be worn with honor, not avoid.

I had two boys at or under 100lbs. They carried the 85lb canoes and packs with no problems. Lifting the canoe and packs onto thier own backs was a minor struggle. So the other crew members lifted the packs/canoes onto their shoulders. They carried the canoes or packs in 2 different instances 100 rods which is equal to 1800 feet or 600 yards. Never complained about the weight. They knew that was part of the experience they paid for upfront.

The min age is 14 and in good health. The first day or two things are more challenging but by the midweek, everyones bodies have adjusted and do really well. The boys in my crew VOLUNTARILY agreed to paddle an additional 15 miles the last day FOR FUN! We were only 2 miles from base camp. Instead they planned a day trip paddling AWAY from base camp knowing they would have to double back.

The boys in my crew jumped at the chance to wake at 3am, break camp and paddle in total darkness, without flashlights until the sun rose at 6:30am. They paddled until 4 pm that day. Teenagers who were excited to get up before noon. Teenagers who were excited about trying something different. Teenagers who learned that they are more capable than they though if given a chance.

Just because you are adverse to even the slightest discomfort does not mean the rest of the world is. 70% of scouting is outing. If you don't want to play and have fun like the rest of us, take your gloomy gus attitude somewhere else. You would be suprised at how much your son could accomplish if just let him try.

Doesn't matter because it is for people who are not afraid of the water and can swim. Since you have handicapped your son and not taken the necessary steps to ensure he is a good swimmer, it is better both of you stay home anyway.

Rant Off.

bart humpries

"I recommend you stop by your local SCUBA shop and buy a weight belt from them ETC"

Good Idea, I like carrying packs because we will have packs at NTIER but I forgot about all that diving lead i have, I am a dive master, i wanted to do sea base first but im really stoked about NTIER.

ResQman- WOW, nice rant :o you had me rolling bro! Your summary of concerns previously posted mirrored many of my own and was very helpful, thank you for your input on this thread.

I am an extraverted optimist, I dream big and do things that way, Some times I lay it on a little heavy and over whelm those around me. I have a shoot for mars and land on the moon philosophy. I appreciate the balance this exchange has brought to the plan.

Rant On?

Really?

The forum is Camping & High Adventure, not just High Adventure...but intrusion in to your personal forum.

Wow... I guess the smiley face meant nothing!

(This message has been edited by Engineer61)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok lessons learned so far

50 lbs was enough to rip the straps off my 1976 yellow nylon with aluminum frame boys life back pack I have had since I was a boy, whew, its finally dead, now we can modernize.

60 lbs is enough weight to rip the straps off my good old military ALICE pack (lucky they are modular and I can replace them), and difficult to pull out of a canoe at the shore.

As for weight goals reality will dictate how far we get but the BSA physical part D says Each person must be able to carry a 50- to 85-pound pack or canoe from a quarter-mile to 2 miles several times a day on rough, swampy, and rocky portages and paddle 10 to 15 miles per day, often against a headwind. Climatic conditions can range from 30 to 100 degrees in summer/autumn so that is what we are training for.

The internal frame pack one of the boys brother took to Philmont is really comfortable bearing a load. I hear we have a few in the scout garage, I'm going to try to get those and buy me and my sons some nice packs. Any suggestions on a back pack that will comfortably bear a load up to 85-90lbs, that would be good for Philmont.

Portaging a canoe with a metal bar for a yolk is no Buenos even with a towel wrapped around it.

Portaging a canoe with a wooden portage shaped yolk is much better, but still sucks without pads, some duct tape and rolled up wash cloths make a huge difference.

Portaging a canoe with a wooden portage yolk and bolt on portage pads priceless! The balance and control is smooth and comfortable.

Practicing lifting the canoe is a nice whole body exercise like the snatch cling jerk, and the technique seams to get smoother every time.

We the more we paddle the better the control gets.

Glad to hear your preparations are going well. I realize you are only using them because they are what you have available for your training trips, but just for discussion I wanted to point out that frame style packs are not the best choice for canoe trips. While they are the most comfortable for carrying loads on long hikes, they are very difficult to pack efficiently into a canoe. The evelope shape, duluth style, but made from modern materials including a hip belt, is still the best trade-off between capacity, ability to pack into the canoe, and ability to carry. It sounds like that is what NT provides.

Portaging a canoe with a wooden portage yolk and bolt on portage pads priceless! The balance and control is smooth and comfortable.

These are the Cadillac of portage pads:  http://www.gear4portaging.com/yokepads.html

• 2 months later...

Well we just got back from Ntier, it was awesome, the crew appreciated the strength preparations we made, I dont think we prepared too much or too little. It was just right. We had one member that did not get to train with us and it was tough for them. Many thanks to the forum members for helping us make this a successful trip.

• 1 month later...

We took a crew to ntier 5 scouts 3 leaders the first week of August had a great time covered 63 miles had no problems canoeing or portaging. The scouts suprised us in the lack of complaining the work ethic in camp the cooperation they exceeded our expectations. I carried a canoe all except the first portage at Prairie Portage where I rolled my left ankle. Was sore the first day but ok after that. Spent a layover day on Agnes Lake caught lake trout walleye pike and small mouth bass. Commisary errored and didnt send any oil to cook the fish so we cooked it on a granite slab. Weight training not as important as endurance training found myself huffing on some of the longer portages ie the B & the B. Had the best shower of my life when we got back to base camp, ate the best steak in Ely at the Ely steak house. Making plans to go back again within the next couple of years. Reccommend every troop to send a crew.

We took a crew to ntier 5 scouts 3 leaders the first week of August had a great time covered 63 miles had no problems canoeing or portaging. The scouts suprised us in the lack of complaining the work ethic in camp the cooperation they exceeded our expectations. I carried a canoe all except the first portage at Prairie Portage where I rolled my left ankle. Was sore the first day but ok after that. Spent a layover day on Agnes Lake caught lake trout walleye pike and small mouth bass. Commisary errored and didnt send any oil to cook the fish so we cooked it on a granite slab. Weight training not as important as endurance training found myself huffing on some of the longer portages ie the B & the B. Had the best shower of my life when we got back to base camp, ate the best steak in Ely at the Ely steak house. Making plans to go back again within the next couple of years. Reccommend every troop to send a crew.