The discussion of PFD's in the "anti-kudos . . ." thread seemed to be getting interesting enough on its own.

What is the likelihood of a brand new, high quality PFD failing under normal usage? Probably so close to zero as to not be measurable. On the other hand, what about the 15 year old orange horseshoe style PFD that has been left out in the sun, stored wet, used as a seatcushion in camp, used as padding to transport a canoe on a car without a rack, etc.?

My point is, although these are not the most glamorous pieces of equipment, they do require some maintenance and inspection. Examine them for tears or punctures, check the straps. And most importantly, as they age, make sure they still work. Take them to the lake or pool, and under non-emergent conditions, have someone who can swim jump in with them on and test them. Several years ago, I tried this with some Type IV's that had been used as seat cushion for many years, and they did essentially nothing as a floatation aid.

In our area, if there is the slightest imperfection - a small hole or rip or similar thing - they would not pass an inspection by the local authorities. Faded, old, dirty whatever..is just fine as long as the PFD is fully functional. Kind of like people...I hope.;)

When I take groups out on the water, before I allow them in the canoes or other watercraft, I require them to pass the online boat safety exam for this state. They often are surprised at how difficult it is to pass.

I have to believe that the failure rate is 1: People not wearing PFDs. 2. People wearing PFDs incorrectly. 3. Way, way down the list - PFD failure.

"U.S. Coast Guard statistics show that approximately 70% of all fatal boating accident deaths are caused by drowning. Of those who drowned, approximately 90% were not wearing their Personal Flotation Device (PFD)"

"The safest PFD is the one you are actually wearing"

"PFD Maintenance

Your PFDs must be in serviceable condition, which means:The buckles or zippers must work correctly.The straps must be securely attached and not torn.The fabric must not be frayed or deteriorated.The seams must not be torn.The buoyant material must still be resilient and not compressed, waterlogged, or moldy."

From http://www.ehow.com/facts_6973271_maximum-device-keep-person-afloat_.html

"No Failure-Related Drownings

The U.S. Coast Guard reports no instance of anyone drowning while wearing a properly selected, fitted and fastened PFD"

and

"Only Inflatables Actually Fail"

Those with foam cores are leak-proof - that is, it doesn't matter if they are sealed properly.

From the US Coast Guard

"While the number of people who boat has steadily increased, the number of drownings (excluding other fatalities) has decreased from about 1500 to 500 annually (from 1971 to 1996) since Type III PFDs were introduced. Equally important, the number of drownings when a PFD was "used" has decreased from nearly 200 to about 55 over the same period. So, while the total number of drownings has been significantly reduced (especially in light of increased boating) the drownings with a PFD used has been even more significantly reduced."

and

"[in 2006] About 51 people died in accidents where PFDs were used, but only in a few of those cases is there any indication that a higher performing PFD might have prevented the drowning. In the majority of cases, other contributing factors would have overcome the benefits of any PFD. The factors include: being trapped in an overturned boat, being held under a boulder or log by the strong currents of white water, removing the PFD for some reason (like swimming to shore), becoming hypothermic due to the duration of exposure in cold water, suffering other injuries that led to drowning, etc."

Yah, the only PFD "failures" I've ever seen are long-term fabric deterioration due to UV exposure. And those still "worked" as flotation, since the fabric only tore along a seam. The foam was sill held in place.

For keelboat sailin', I wear a self-inflating PFD with a sailin' harness. Sorta a tougher version of what's under your airline seat. In theory, one can imagine a knife or a gunshot puttin' a hole in the air bladder. Never seen it happen.

B

In reference to the 5 year and out, it may have been summer camp, or again may be my confusion with COPE trequirements.

Saw the article OAK posted, and tried to post the link as well as the USCG PFD checklist card that they use to inspect their PFDs, and am having computer problems. I am very glad to see 0 fatalities in regards to PFDs.

Also if I remember correctly, CO2 PFDs are not suppose to be used in the BSA.