How many sleeping bags?

How many sleeping bags do you have to accommodate the range of temperatures that you camp in. I have a 20 degree mummy bag for colder temps that I have experiences (I haven't done much camping below freezing, yet). The 20 deg bag can get warm in milder temps. Do you just regulate with the upper and lower zipper, or do you use a bag that has a higher temp rating? Looking for guidance.

Thanks!

rj

I have two sleeping bags. A winter bag, rated to -20F and a summer bag that's good for temps above 50F.

I usually take the summer bag May to September, and the winter bag October to April. But that will vary depending on temps. I find it's better to have the winter bag open or sleep on top if the night is warm than to sleep cold in the summer bag. I sleep much better warm than cold!

I use a poncho liner to supplement my bags.

Warm nights, I'm on top.

Cool nights, my bottom is in the bag with the poncho liner around shoulders.

Cold nights, the liner makes a draft baffle (your head only in a sweater makes the best baffle)

Below zero, the poncho liner adds 10 to 15 degrees of comfort on top of the bag. (Weighted with coats or clothes to keep it from sliding off during he night.)

While I now personally own 4, I'd learned my lesson about giving gear away, I only use one rated to 15 degrees. , I regulate the zipper and also sleep outside of it as needed. The other three I lend to my kids.

I have a 0 deg. bag for winter and a 30 deg. bag for the rest of the year. I do a fair amount of summer camping in northern MN and upper MI, and the 30 deg. bag may actually be needed in the middle of summer if you get a cool week. I just sleep on top of it when it is hot or muggy.

Probably have too many bags but I do a lot of demos on bag types, combinations, uses and cold weather camping. I have a bivy sack, a 60, 40, 20 and 0 degree bags. Coldest been out in is minus 15, windchill minus 25, tarp tenting. Used the 0 inside the 60 inside the bivy and was toasty. Of course with the proper insulation underneath. Recently got my hands on the military 3 bag system and looking forward to testing it next winter.

yis

red feather

Well, I already know I am weird but I have a dozen or more bags and I have tried a bunch and I keep coming back to an absurdly heavy Army surplus mountain bag. Like others have mentioned, I zip or unzip as temps dictate but I swear I sleep better with that bag even when its 80+.

I guess a lot depends on personal preferences. Thanks for all of your responses. I do have some old Coleman rectangular bags that don't pack up very well. I think I do need to get a warmer bag for summer and the warmer transition months.

I love being able to get feedback on various questions on this forum.

YIS,

rj

As a hammock camper, I do not use sleeping bags at all. What I do have is Under Quilts (UQ) and Top Quilts (TQ). UQs snug the underside of a hammock, and TQs are like a sleeping bag with no back (less material and weight).

My winter UQ is down will keep me warm down to 20, and colder if I add additional insulation. My summer UQ is synthetic (3 oz Climashield) good for 45-50 and up. I have a winter TQ (good to about 15) which I use up to about 55. Above that, I use a fleece liner and supplement with a second layer of fleece at the lower range. Eventually, I will purchase a summer TQ for temps 40-65, but it is not yet in my budget.

If you are looking to save weight, some ultralight hikers will use Top Quilts with tent or tarp and a good pad. But keep in mind that these products are sometimes pricier than standard sleeping bags, as many of them are custom made.

Long answer, hope it helps.

In the Southeast I mostly use my lightweight synthetic fiber bag. For cold weather (subfreezing) I still use (believe it or not) my old Frostline down bag that I made from a kit back in the early '70s (I had to replace the down once though - that was a real pain in the butt, too.)

I also have a cold weather synthetic bag but it's so heavy and bulky I mostly use it as a backup. There's just something about down....