So, I'm feeling some of those Kudos that I laid on my SM getting retracted.

Last weekend's Canoe trip resulted in at least one crew in 40 degree water.

I don't like finding out that the group did something that we were specifically told they would not be doing.

===

Of course, I would have have allowed the trip anyway, since Scout's swimming skills are marginal at best. But that's not my call.(This message has been edited by Engineer61)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chilly weather to be canoein', but not a big deal if the lads or the group are prepared. I reckon I'm north of you and I've been out this year. Water levels are fun right now.

Not sure anybody could promise on a canoe trip that there won't be a capsize.

Beavah

I don't like finding out that the group did something that we were specifically told they would not be doing.

So that there's no misinterpretation here - what exactly are you upset about? What were you told wouldn't be done?

That they went canoeing in 40-degree water?

Or that someone capsized?

Specifically, we were told that they would be canoeing along the perimeter of the lake.

Instead, they made a crossing to get to an island in 15-20 mph winds. Waves 1-2 ft.

Define prepared? Scout went in, remained in wet clothes until they returned to launch site. Fortunately he had was made to take dry clothes by Mom.

Paddling Cold Water Tangent:

We wore wetsuits when kayaking the Colorado River in 110 degree summer days.

The water temp (comming off the bottom of the lake) was 40-45 degrees cold! When a wave slapped you in the chest, it was so cold that you couldn't breathe.

When we got toasty in our wetsuits, we'd just flip over to cool off.

Engineer61 based on numerous posts you seen to be very risk adverse.

The goal of scouting it to take the lads out and challenge them. If there is no risk, then the lads will quickly tire and quit scouting.

If the troop members are prepared, then most of the activities you list as being concerned about are part and parcel of scouting. The scouts are given proper training and information for a couple weeks before an outing so they can make sure they have the right gear. Then they go out and test themselves.

Lighten up a little bit and give your son a chance to explore and reach beyond his backyard. Plans are guidelines on what you expect to happen in the confort of the planning room. Once on scene, you modify the plans to fit the realities of being there.

If Mom is packing for Jr. and you are second guessing the SM's every decision, then the problem sounds more like helicopter parents and less like troop issues. If your son is a weak swimmer, then that is a great opportunity for you to sign him up for swimming lessons at the local pool.

If you don't trust your son's troop leadership, either find another troop you do trust or pull him from the program.

If his swimming skills are marginal, work on improving them.

Define prepared? Scout went in, remained in wet clothes until they returned to launch site. Fortunately he had was made to take dry clothes by Mom.

Yeah, not sure what you would have had them do in this case. Carry a sealed drybag full of clothes for everyone in the canoe and had him change in the middle of the lake?

Risk Adverse?

OK...I'll buy that 100%...maybe a little more. They're kids...not Marine recruits.

I'm the one that gets to foot the bill in the ER and the Courtroom when the crap hits the fan and my Scout gets injures and bio-Dad goes on a legal rampage. Or my Ex uses such an event to come after me in the Courtroom to take my son away from me.

BTDT.

Where there is a need to take risks, I take them. I don't take them for the adrenaline rush or the

wonder of being in the great outdoors. Having been caught in an Atlantic riptide as a young age I know what life-or-death is all about.

I expect the SM's do to what they say they will and won't do.