This Boy Scout unit is a Boy or Youth run troop.

You have a Troop that, when they do camp, does not do anything but sit around the campsite?

If they go camping, (Camp at summer camp & camporees only)

You have a Troop that keeps no records on it's Scouts?

Yes, but not an outdoor troop, present version of troop.

You have Scouts who do not know the requirements for a Merit Badge, yet claim to have earned it?

Yes, But also include parents, Committee, Assistant Scoutmasters.

You have a Troop that thinks that Merit Badge requirements have not changed in 40 years?

Yes. Also, the old requirements where good enough for me --- its good enough for them.

You have Eagle Scout adults that do not know that only the most current Merit Badge requirements can be used?

Yes.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do not have to use "only the most current requirements", you may use the requirements that were current when you first started working on the merit badge.

You just need to be able to show that you really did start working on it at that time and what those requirements were at that time.

It's the same with rank -- rank requirements change, but as long as you got at least one of the old rank requirements done before it changed and you can show that you did that and you have a copy of what the rank requirements were, you can use those old requirements.

"You do not have to use "only the most current requirements", you may use the requirements that were current when you first started working on the merit badge."

True, but somehow I really doubt that any of these Scouts could have started the Camping Merit Badge prior to January 1, 2000, when requirement 9 was revised to include the "do 2 of the following".

This thread starts with just one question. This is the question: Does the 20 days and nights have to be scout camping, done as a scout with a scouting unit??

Do not answer.

The issues were and still is., I asked the scout for the records or note saying what part of 9 that he has done. I know he has done 15 days/nites because he is in the OA.

The Scout, parents, the troop Committee and several adult looked at this part of the req.

2. On any of these camping experiences, you must do TWO of the following, only with proper preparation and under qualified supervision:

1. Hike up a mountain, gaining at least 1,000 vertical feet.

2. Backpack, snowshoe, or cross-country ski for at least four miles.

3. Take a bike trip of at least 15 miles or at least four hours.

4. Take a non-motorized trip on the water of at least four hours or 5 miles.

5. Plan and carry out an overnight snow camping experience.

6. Rappel down a rappel route of 30 feet or more.

3. Perform a conservation project approved by the landowner or land managing agency.

So far the scout has not come back to me. I have asked the scoutmaster if they keep records for Scout camping or camping with the scouts for the members of the troop.

The only answer I have got was summer camp. As of right know, that is 5 days/nites of camping. I believe he has been to summer camp 3 times. 15 days/nites, but I am counting that as 5 days/nites.

Am I right???

>So far the scout has not come back to me. I have asked the scoutmaster if they keep

>records for Scout camping or camping with the scouts for the members of the troop.

>The only answer I have got was summer camp. As of right know, that is 5 days/nites of

>camping. I believe he has been to summer camp 3 times. 15 days/nites, but I am counting

>that as 5 days/nites.

>Am I right???

Yes. Only one week (in this case 5 nights) of long term camping may count. Indecently, this is also the case with the OA. SO, either he has other camping or they powers that be allowed him to be elected anyway.

It is hard to imagine a unit that does not keep records. You might find out if the troop at least has a list of their campouts to see if the scout remembers any of them.

Ultimately this is not your responsibility as MB counselor. The scout should be able to provide you with a list of his nights of camping.