What do you call these things....

Ok I'm looking for a place to buy round, kerosene fueled lamps/lanterns and I have no idea what their official name is.

Basically it is a sphere, with a flat bottom to prevent from rolling around. They have a wick and metal cover that goes over teh wick to put it out.

I've used them with my lodge growing up and with the Eckerd Foundation. They were called railroad lanterns, rail road cherry lamps, and emergency lamps, but when i try to google them, nada.

anyhelp would be appreciated

I believe they are called SMUDGE POTS. I have a couple thathave lasted me for years..First at my camper and not on my patio deck.I use citronella oil and works fine to keep bugs away.Can be bought at camping supply shop AND ebay.

Those will put out smoke to keep the bugs away, but they won't help if what you really want is light. For that, you want something with a glass chimney. turn the wick down until it's almost not there anymore, just blue flame -- that way, there won't be any smoke and you won't have to clean the chimney. I see lanterns in "period" films all the time and they always have it turned way up so you can see a big yellow flame in it. When you get it down so that there's no smoke, it'll be a lot brighter too (as well as smokeless for less cleaning). The wicks are usually belts and if you trim the corners a bit before you light it, it'll be a little easier to get it so there's no smoke.

Smudge pots among other things are used on ranges to mark pathways, and provide "blacking" for weapons sights (a worn finish can shine, a temporary range fix is to properly smudge the sight removing the shine and when done properly "sharpening" the edges of the front sight post creating a better sight picture).

They were also used to keep a ready source of fire available for cannon and when in fixed emplacements, match-lock weapons.

Not really a lighting (lamp) accessory.

Hurricane Lanterns are an entirely different piece of equipment. Not the same at all.(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

The "smudge pots" I'm use to are #10 cans with a roll of TP and kerosene in them. Now verboten by the BSA. which makes OA Ordeals interesting now.

I actually found a place that sells them for $35/pop. I'm thinking the chapter may be buying some in the near future.

Why would you have to stop using the #10 cans with a roll of toilet paper and kerosene? Just put a "spark arrestor" on top and suddenly, bam, you meet the fire code. The pots you're looking at cost $30 each, right? So, for the price of four of them, you can buy a single sheet of metal which you can cut up to make almost 130 spark arrestor screens that'll work with the #10 cans that you already have:

http://www.mcnichols.com/ecommerce/eos/itemDetail?itemNumber=4600122048&navCode=cc:std

That 1/2" hole size meets the standards for every US state (most are 3/4" standard, but CA for instance is more stringent and requires 1/2" size). It's also 80% open, so it won't really affect what's burning inside. True, you'd have to tack one corner down on the can, bend the square piece over, then punch a nail through the can or something to hold the opposite corner down, but it'll end up being a lot more stable (wider base), you can half bury it for extra stability, it'll survive being accidentally kicked, you'll never have to adjust the wick, etc.

#10 cans w/ TP and kerosene are no longer allowed because of the Guide to Safe Scouting:

"Prohibited chemical-fueled equipmentEquipment that is handcrafted, homemade, modified, or installed beyond the manufacturers stated design limitations or use. Examples include alcohol-burning can stoves, smudge pots, improperly installed heaters, and propane burners with their regulators removed."

Bart,

That is considered "homemade." Trust me someone from my lodge has been in contact with national about this. He's an engineer, has his own shop and tools, and still cannot make them for us.

DL posted the section before I posted.

So don't make them yourself -- don't make them in your shop and don't do anything as a volunteer. Find a general contractor in your area and place an order for "screened #10 smudge pots" -- cost should be from $1 to $3 each (depending on materials, where you live, etc.). These are thus no longer homemade items as they were purchased from a board certified, licensed and bonded general contractor who created this innovative item in full compliance with all relevant laws, including the fire safety codes for the state of California, which is either on par or stricter than the other states of the union.

If you don't have a general contractor in your area who is familiar with fire safety codes, feel free to contact my father, Kevin Humphries, at (909)255-1432 -- he'll be happy to give you his general contractor's number, his bond information, etc. I expect the price, excluding shipping and handling, would be around $3 each,* since I know he doesn't have any extra #10 cans on hand, the screens are hinged and cut to closely fit the can top with the sharp edges filed away (although you'd have to talk with him for an exact price quote). For an extra $1 your name or the name of your troop or OA council can be engraved on the side of these remarkably thrifty, shining stainless steel smudge pots.

*Kerosene and toilet paper not included.

For our OA trail lamps we had a wide wooden base with a tea candle holder encased by four small glass windows with a flip open latchable top with a 1/4 inch gap around on three sides. Virtually untippable, not enough flame to catch the unit even if the candle fell over, wind and rain, well, resistant, 'cause we did get them put out once.

All home made except the glass panels which can be etched and cut from any standard sheet. Works great.