Cast Iron in Freezing Temps

I don't know for sure, but to be on the safe side, I'd probably set it _near_ the fire for a few minutes before burying it in a bunch of hot coals or putting a bunch of hot charcoal on top of it.

But it will probably be OK. Even in hot weather, you're probably changing the outside temperature by several hundred degrees, so an extra 50 degrees or whatever probably won't hurt.

But still, right from the ice to the fire is probably a bad idea!

I wouldn't worry about going from hot to cold. Years ago, I decided to do my wife a favor and turn on the self cleaner to the stove while she was gone. (Just married, never had used it before) I forgot to look in the stove before I started it. An hour or so later, a loud racket started coming from the inside of the stove. A cast iron frying pan was inside and getting so hot, it was shaking in the stove. I broke the lock open and using about four potholders, i removed the pan and tossed it out the back door into a snowbank. It sizzled and sank into the snow in a rush of steam. We still use the pan today, 24 years later. No damage.

• Haha 1