Needing help planning a summer trip

Ok first of all I am new and green as SM, our last one left when his son hit eagle and gave me all of one month of training. So trying to plan a summer outing besides summer camp. Troop has decided on water rafting in Tenn. I decided to break up the parts of the trip.(cost, menu, places to stay, transportation, etc.) and give each one to a scout and let them do the research on it. But I have this nagging feeling like I am forgetting something. Checked the Guide to safe scouting and could find very little on water rafting. So I guess I am asking for help in making sure I have all my ducks in a row before we set this trip in stone.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Depending on length of trip, look into the 50 Miler Afoot/Afloat award.

Maybe you want to have all attendees complete swimming mb class before you go? You might want to hit a lake for a practice day of canoeing to work out the kinks before you spend a week paddling.

Also check out any posts regarding Northern Tier or Charles Sommers Canoe Base. Looks of good infor about canoeing

Start going over a Trip Permit to make sure you have your bases completely covered through experience and training, like Safe Swim Defense, Safety Afloat, CPR, Wilderness First Aid.

Maybe ask some other scoutmasters in your area if they've done this trip before and will share their notes.

namu,

I'm new to scouting as well, but I am an avid river rat. Not sure exactly what kind of trip you're planning, but more info might help folks point you in the right direction.

Are you planning a multi day float trip? Or ,is this going to be a car camping type trip with day float trips on a popular white water section of river - that is, will you return to the same "base camp" at the end of each day?

Is this a self guided float or are you hiring a guide/outfitter?

Are the boys going to be passengers in a raft that has a rowing frame and one person on the sticks, or is it going to be a paddle boat setup with each boy holding a paddle and contributing to the movement and control of the raft. Each has its merits depending on what you want to do. On a multi day float trip with the potential for good fishing you probably want to set the boys up in rafts with rowing frames and a guide on the sticks. Then, they can sit back, enjoy the scenary and fish. If its a splash and giggle, crazy whitewater trip then a paddle boat setup will get the boys into the action and give them the chance to be a part of guiding the boat.

Or, you can have both and the boys can take turns in the "fishing" raft and the "fun" raft.

Does the river your floating require any special permits? Rivers that see a lot of use in the summer may limit the number of boaters on the water using a limited entry permit system.

Just some stuff to think about, there's nothing better than a camping trip on the river, I hope your boys have a blast.

Nate

For me, I found that sitting down and coming up with a Parent Information Packet helps me ensure that I have all my ducks lined up. You might want to work on this with the Troop Scribe.

Listing what you plan to do each day at what time you plan to do it. (I as a rule break each day down into 3 parts: Morning, Afternoon and Night.)

A copy of the menu for each day seems to put new parents minds at ease. - I'm not sure why?

A list of personal gear for each Scout.

Include all the medical and permission forms and the payment dates. (When the deposit is due and when the final payment is due) Also include what happens to money paid in if someone should drop out. Will they lose part of their money? Making this clear from the get go can save a lot of ill feeling.

A list of the adults who are attending and what specific job or area they will cover. Who is in charge of First Aid,Food, Equipment, Transportation. If possible the SM should try not to be in charge of any specific area. He should however know what's going on.

I normally give my idea about how much spending money each Scout might need. Only because parents ask.

I also make it clear that the Troop is not responsible for the loss of personal gear which includes things like DVD players cell phones and the like. I find that explaining that these are easily lost stops most of them from coming!

Very often when I sit down with this Information Packet I will find things that I have missed or things that I need to attend to.

Please don't tell anyone but in all the years I've been doing this we have yet to ever stick to the posted menu! Something always seems to come up. I of course defend this by telling everyone that I'm flexible! Still it's important that you don't allow this packet to end up being the "Gotta Do This".

A well produced packet can also be a great item to use for stirring up interest in the trip for anyone who is sitting on the fence and maybe even help recruit some new Scouts.

Good Luck.

Ea.