Outdoor Cooking Resources

I dont cook with plastic, it does generate carcinogens, In general, whenever food comes in contact with materials that are not inert there is a chance of chemical transfer and contamination. We are primarily concerned about plasticizers such as the various phthalates, acetyltributylcitrate and dioctyladipate, all of which are added to plastics to make the products flexible and less brittle. The concern is that if you heat up plastic food containers, utensils or plastic wrap, some of these chemicals could be released into food or beverage.

As a general rule, the fattier the food, the more of the chemicals potentially can be absorbed and retained by it. my local oncologist say dont microwave your food with plastic. thats good enough for me. ill stick with my cast iron.

Since this is a revived thread, I'd give an update. Did the box oven and learned two things.

#1 you can use to much charcoal :)

#2 Don't use cheap pans to put your charcoal in as it will burn through the pans and the box.

I just perused the Scout's Outdoor Cookbook in a store, and found it (on first glance) to be really interesting. So I ordered it on Amazon (about $10.50). Should be here in a few days.

With a resource like that, foil cooking, box ovens, and dutch ovens, I think you'd be pretty well covered (except for backpacking, maybe).

About zip-lock "omelets" -- I knew about the link on their website, saying they are safe. No problem -- but my problem with them is that I think they're horrible! Especially when they are overcooked. Or worse, part overcooked, and parts still raw. Never cared for them at all. I would much prefer to have a hard- or soft-boiled egg, prepared in "nature's own packaging." At least with eggs you can do a dozen or so at a time, unlike with zip-locks.

Guy