Campouts without the scoutmaster

Ditto that. But, when they do come up with a decent plan, I'm sticking by them.

It is nice for the SM to be available for every campout. Parents are more comfortable, and I suppose the boys know how to "work the system" if the same guy with the same sleeping habits is running these weekends!

Now that I think of it, T&S, your committee should plan a weekend or two where the SM is required to stay home!

Eagle1982 - I guess it all depends on the scoutmaster. In my troop, if the boys went as often as the SM, they would go twice as often than they do. I announce that I am going to be going some place camping, canoeing or kayaking and if the boys want to come along they can make their arrangements. Two-three activities per month seem to be a hard press for a small boy-led program. Unfortunately, 5 seats in my vehicle go unclaimed a lot of times.

Stosh

Just found out at a SM/ASM meeting Monday night that our new SM only on the job for 6 months is not only not coming to any outing this next year, but also will be ending is position as SM in June. He's a good guy, but i can't wait until he leaves, need someone at the top who's ready to do the job.

Does the SM have to attend EVERY outing? That seems like a slightly irrational absolute. Granted the SM should attend MOST of the outings, otherwise he might want to re-evaluate his role in the troop leadership structure. Still, the ASMs and PLC should be well-enough trained so that things don't fall apart upon the SM's occasional absence.(This message has been edited by sherminator505)

i.e. Cary, NC ban on sheath knives

Eagle92, in the spirit of the forum, can you show a reference to your statement? I do not believe that Cary has any such ban. You aren't allowed to have them in town parks, but then again, you can't camp in town parks, either.

Note that in all of North Carolina it is illegal to carry a "bowie knife" on educational property.