Klondike derby requirement

As long as one isn't sleeping overnight at a traditional Klondike, I'm thinking the Winter Awareness Training should be fine. I've never taken either of the two classes, but have been camping in the snow for years. Just from the titles, a basic class in keeping warm and watching for the signs of hypothermia should do you just fine. Talk to someone who teaches these classes and they would be the best to answer your question.

Kinda surprised no one has jumped in on this question.

Stosh

I guess not many have jumped on this question because they have never heard of winter awareness or snow camp training. They both sound like good training courses to prepare your scouts for a Klondike.

There are many things a scout has to know when winter camping, from what to wear, the proper sleeping bag, tent, signs of hypothermia, frostbite, etc. There are also a lot of "tricks" a scout can learn, like sleeping with your boot liners in your bag. Your boys should know about these things and if the training you mentions teaches this, then they are good to go.

The biggest challenge is not the training of the scouts, it's the parents. They need to know to buy the right layered clothing and winter camping gear. You may educate the scout about dressing in layers and not wearing cotton, but if his parents refuse to buy him that polypro undergarment, he'll end up freezing in his cotton tee shirt and underwear.

I used to make up a parent's handout with a list of what the scout needs for winter camping. It also inculded brand names and low cost substitutes for the expensive items. It also explained the value of the higher cost items, like a good winter sleeping bag.