I realize it's for Cub Scouts, but there are far better way than having 100+ ziplock bag all over the place and egg all over the boys.

I used to do Webelos outdoors training and never had a problem for cooking for large numbers of people. In this case they were a bit fussier than a bunch of young boys that will eat basically anything.

For them, it was scoop and go kinds of meals. Large pots of Minute Rice or noodles with something to dump over. They could use paper plates, plastic plates, mess kits, Frizbees, or whatever. A scoop of rice, a scoop of sauce, NEXT!

Our training had only two leaders for the whole group and between the other fella and I we prepared the meal while the other was teaching. By the time lunch rolled around, it was ready, we ate and were back in class in a half hour. Clean up was a couple of pots, a couple of spoons and a garbage bag.

Depending on your audience, adults, Cubs or Scouts, there are far easier ways to prepare good meals fast that don't involve a ton of preparation and hassle.

Day hike for the boys (Cubs) was usually a hot foil dinner. Each boy got a Ziplock of preprepared food and another of charcoal to put in his pack. Got to the site, collected up the charcoal, started a fire, put the foil dinners together, ate, put everything back into their ziplocks and took it home. No big deal.

Long before I got into Boy Scouts, I already knew how to mess kit cook. I had done many shore lunches over the years with my dad and all we used were mess kits, but it was always a hot meal. Trail mix and granola bars don't make a lunch in my book, when there's a ton of great food out there that doesn't take much to prepare. Pan fried Sunnies and buttered bread, washed down with a little Koolade, and we were in heaven. If we didn't want to mess with the mess kits, put the fish on a stick and knock yourself out! I built a fire while he filleted the fish. If we used the stick and drank out of the canteens, there were no plates, utensils or cups to clean up. Food was good and so was the time spent "fishing" with Dad.

Stosh

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, cooking for a bunch of adults at a training, or a den of Webelos, is different than with a bunch of families of all ages.

I never said that ziplock eggs should be on every menu, for every Scout overnighter, of any kind. I also never said, or implied, it was the only way, and/or the only thing, we ever cooked.

That would be silly.

However, it IS a FUN, and perfectly nutritious, breakfast for Cub families, at a Pack Family Campout, every once in a while.

Our Pack families, parents, Scouts, and siblings, alike, all enjoyed it. They also enjoy other kinds of breakfasts, lunches (hot and cold), and dinners. We like variety for our Pack Family Camp menus, with a bit of fun thrown in as well.

Personally I think that trail mix, and granola bars are great for trail snacks. Gives the little guys/gals some extra energy to last them until lunch.

You are free to cook any way you wish at yours.

(This message has been edited by Scoutnut)

Really...It's about the " That's cool!" factor. At a Cub Campout, uaually, the adulyts cook over a stove making all the food and then a pre determined den helps serve.

But while we are cooking,the cubs are around the campfire, running around or goofing off. No, nothing wrong with them goofing off, but cooking in a bag would be "cool", or at the very least - different.

Me? I prefer my stainless steel/ oil filled base frying pan. I can eat more than the 2 eggs that go in a bag.

But that's not cool! :)

• 4 months later...

Well...You could also take a spoonful of powdered eggs and a swallow of water from a water bottle, then shake your head furiously up and down and side to side and call it scrambbled eggs...but it just isn't the same is it? :)

No more than 2 eggs in a bag.

Use FREEZER ziplock bags, not regular ones.

Use a sharpie to label the bags

Keep bag away from the side of the pot for the most part

Use a tong to squeeze the bags while they cook

Mix in anything you want that you would put in a regular omelet. Keep quantities reasonable

About 5 minutes cook time is plenty if you squeeze while cooking. You can't really overcook them but they can be undercooked and it is hard to fix that.

It sounds harder than it is. Toss stuff in, mix the bags well, toss in water. Slide out the omelet when done or let cool a few minutes and eat from the bag. Easy as pie.

Yeah, they are on our menu for spring camp in a few weeks.

Oh, one more thing...don't let anybody tell you the plastic bags are poisonous...

I crack open two eggs into a 1 qt FREEZER bag and burp it. Then mash it up a bunch to scramble the eggs.

Open the bag back up and add whjat you like....

I use Jimmy Deam pre crumbled/ pre cooked sausage, and I buy the plastic containers of fajita veggies that are pre chopped ( not diced) , and pre shredded taco cheese.

You can use ham, onion only, peppers...whatever suits your taste. Then a dash of salt and pepper and then re burp the bag and drop it into the pot of water.

I have the water already boiling and I have a lid on the pot too. With the lid, steam coats the sides of the pot so bag won't stick and melt to the pot.

I have tossed in 6 bags at a time and cooked at 8 minutes and they were done, but not over done.

Pull out with tongs, let them cool for about 1 minute and peel the bag back like you are eating a candy bar.

Dump the clean empty water and toss the bag. Then clean up is done!

The first time, it seems kinda hard, but it's just something new. I showed the leaders of my pack at our campout a weeka go and I made 6 bags in one minute.

Kinda like tying shoes: Gets easier every time ytou do it.

The biggest thing is to use only 2 eggs in a bag at a time. 3 eggs suits my big fat butt better, but 3 eggs increases the cooking time . You could easily end up with over done on the outside, underdone on the inside.

It's better to make two 2 eggs omletts than one 3 egg omlett.

• 2 months later...

Add the cheese as they come out of the pot. Otherwise it liquifies.

I'm tired of these, as we've done these for years.

Use a freezer bag, they are heavier duty. Keep it off the edges of the pot or the bag may melt.

Get as much of the air out as possible or they bounce on the water. Use a sharpie to write your name on the bag.

Really lazy? Chop all the ingredients at home and keep them in a quart bag on ice until needed.

Salsa, onions, green peppers, chilies, olives, use you imagination.

Roll it out on a flour tortilla for a plate free way to eat it.

And they always need salt.

I just make a boiled egg in a bag now.