Crystal River, FL suggestions

Our GS Cadette troop is planning a trip to snorkel with the manatees in Crystal River, FL over President's Day weekend. Besides snorkeling, they want to visit the Homosassa Springs State Wildlife Park. Any reviews on that? Other things they should check out? We'll be down there two full days. Thanks!

You'll definitely see manatees there but won't be allowed to swim with them. Actually they have no snorkeling at all within the park and it is also a tobacco-free zone, the whole park. It's fairly nice. I'd also recommend Rainbow Springs State Park, not far from Homosassa Springs. It has a lot of amenities and a nice campground as well. The spring is the 4th largest in the state and they have canoes and kayaks for rent. People swim and snorkel in the springs all the time. A really nice place, but no manatees as far as I know.

Farther to the north is Ichetucknee Springs State Park, closer to Lake City and I75, another really nice park. You can do everything there although I've never seen manatees there either.

I have seen 'gators at both springs, little ones. There will also be snakes and turtles and birds and lots of fish, nice wildlife.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the Homosassa Springs Wildife Park is well worth visiting. It is the busiest state park in Florida. Look for admission coupons around town, they are out there. Check with your campground or hotel office/front desk, they probably have some.

Here are a few things to do around Crystal River and Homosassa, most free or if not the cost is quite reasonable.

http://www.riverventures.com/localattractions.html