A Compass for an Experienced Scouter

A compass for an experienced scouter. I will be looking for one. If anyone knows where to get one, leave a link for me please.

This past weekend while on a rather great trip I found myself trying to navigate my way through a compass course without my reading glasses. As we become more experienced (aged) we find ourselves putting forth an effort to compensate for the small and slow changes taking place...

For example: We tend to get up a bit earlier to compensate for the speed at which we begin to move after a night in a bag on the ground. We get those more and more necessary glasses we need to see as well as we used to. We also tend to be more mindful of what we are putting on our stomach when bedtime becomes closer.

While struggling to see the degree marks on my compass I found myself looking for younger scouters to do their good deed and read it to me for verification of my setting before proceeding with each step. I had neglected to "BE Prepared" and left my glasses in my truck.

This brought me to the realization that if on a hike and misplaced (I say misplaced because Ive never been lost. lol) or if bushwhacking and my reading glasses were lost or broken, I would have an additional obstacle to overcome.

It is for this reason that, as I approach my middle forties I find myself inquiring about a compass with large print markings.

Please be kind in y'all's comments. Im sure many of you have been in similar situations.

----RANBOW----

In my "survival kit" I always carry a magnifying glass. I use it to wood-burn my walking stick, start fires and read the little marks on the compass. It also comes in handy to read the small print on food containers and see slivers in boy's fingers. I also have one at my desk at work, bifocals normally for near and far, computer glasses for in between and the magnifying glass for reading things off my desk, easier to pick up than switch out glasses. No, trifocals don't work, the lens is too narrow to see the whole computer screen.

Getting old is the pits, but the magnifying glass gets me through. At work it is also called my "gimp-eye". In the field with the boys, it's called my "gimp-eye". The boys have offered to paint my walking stick white with a red tip, too. :)

In the meantime, I use the regular Silva compass I had as a kid. I might be falling apart after 50 years of use, but the compass works just fine.

Whatever works!

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)

I read someones comment that they brought a magnifying glass and said, yeah I do too, it's part of my compass, oooo nevermind lol

I have always worn glasses so "last years model" ends up in back packs, glove compartments, my wifes purse...easier and prolly cheaper then getting a "large print" compass

That said why not consider a GPS with adjustable text size? Not old school orienteering, but then who likes being old?

Ranbow,

You might try the Brunton 9020G Beginner Compass. The degrees are larger than many models and are white on black for high contrast. Cost is $12 - $15.

Interesting question I hadn't considered before - good luck in finding what you need.

Yeah, every year my arms seem to get a little shorter.

I also carry a little fold out magnifier in my pack, with the usual multiple uses.

There are a couple of REI stores in the Charlotte area - drop by and try out the compasses without your glasses.

I swear by Suunto's brands. The needle settles FAST. That means one less thing to wait around for and a little less stress as you read the fine print.

The magnifying glass is a good suggestion.

Alternatively, you might want to consider a military/surveyors' compass. It has a magnifying glass for reading the bearing on the opposite end of the housing while sighting your target through a crosshair. The only problem is you need to carry a protractor to get your bearing off the map.

Gotta love the discussion. Only those who have failing eyesight can understand. I may need a bigger numbered compass and with all the bells and whistles necessary for my sight problem, but what about the maps!?? A good compass and small print topo just aren't going to get along very well. Do they make large-print topos? :)

Stosh

Stosh,

Can't find the link now, but their is a website that allows you to print topo maps for free. Don't remember if it's restricted to NC or not though. part of it is that you can enlarge the map to a degree without problems. Enlarge to much and it becomes pixulated. You will need access to a plotter to print out the maps, unless you want a series of 8x11 maps.

I had a work project that I needed topo maps for last year, and found the exact square I wanted for the project, a topo of the local camp ;) Since that map didn't cover the entire table, I also got the maps of the county I work in. Those three maps helped rather nicely.

:) Don't you think that a satellite modem, laptop and printer is a bit overkill on a backpack trek! Remember, it's the old goats that are computer illiterate that are needing the help!

The gimp-eye is sounding better all the time!

Our scout camp has a huge compass they use to teach the boys. Maybe we could replace the wooden needle for a magnetized one and bungee it on the backpack. That might work for me too. Then a 6' pvc pipe to roll the map up in. Maybe one could roll the map up on a 6' hiking stick! Hey, I'm thinking this might all work!

Thanks for making my day, I'm not feeling old at all now!

Stosh

My Brunton Type 15 (essentially the Silva Ranger renamed for the U.S. Market) has good size white numerals on a black background, I can almost read them without my glasses (my diopter prescription is +2). It also has the letters N-E-S-W printed around the bezel in letters I can distinguish unaided. Using the letters as cues, I can figure out which numbers are where.

If that's not good enough, Brunton also makes a braille compass (http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=89) (might be fun for night ops).

Regards,

DWS