Recently, one of the dads in the troops completely redid the inside of our troop trailer. Now, the shelving is set up so we can have more balance with the weight while pulling it, store things more efficiently, etc. All in all, he did a great job.

As a couple of the adults were looking over his handiwork over the weekend, one of them joked that he forgot to add the refrigerator and built in BBQ grill. That got us to thinking about what other cool things would it be fun to have built into your troop trailer. Any Suggestions?

We always thought it would be cool if the sides of the trailer could fold down to maybe a bit above the hubcap. then you could have it become an instant table. Then put along both the sides those rollup awnings, so you could pull them out over your tables and wha-la.. your trailer has the tables on either side with the rain sheild above it each table. How great is that!

Solar panels on the roof that charge the deep-cell marine battery that then provides power to a few CFLs in the trailer and your PA system.

Don't laugh. That's the rigging (minus the trailer) that was donated to our district last year and we've used at camporees. We were the only subcamp at our council's centennial celebration who used green power all weekend.

The adults have lusted after a shower. The Scouts don't seem to care about that option. A shower seems entirely workable.

We've also mentioned a portable satellite dish for providing parents with a live video feed, although that was more tongue-in-cheek - I don't think I actually want that.

As much as I dislike using the Troop trailer when we go camping, I would like to see a telescopic flag pole atached to the corner, that would rotate longways onto hooks for easy storage.

I'd still want to see round lashings get used every camp out.

Trailer can have:

>> Fenders over wheels are used to hold water jugs (eyebolts in wall hold bungies), only when in situ.

>> Swing out arm is used to hold hand washing station (gallon milk jug on string, soap bar in nylon mesh on rope, towel)

>> Small flood lights in rear, hooked into trailer electric wiring, for night loading/unloading.

>> Separate rack over hitch triangle to hold tarps, firewood, etc.

>> Signs on sides/rear give Troop ID, phone number to call.

>> Include jack, patch kit, tools for tire change. Train Scouts in Tire Change (Auto MB?)

Our trailer has a steel mesh cage that holds the larger refillable propane tanks (one per patrol). This keeps them outside of a closed container, and protects them as well.

We also have racks for hauling poles for pioneering projects (where we camp, no gathering of wood is allowed).

At the last committee meeting we discussed getting insurance for our trailer and contents. Our trailer, purchased early last year cost us $7500.

Our Scoutmaster sent me an e-mail today valuing the replacement contents. His figure came to just under $20K. Quite a bit of fundraising that, and something for us all to think about. If this equipment were damaged, stolen or lost en masse could we continue the program. I'm sure we could, but it would take years to reassemble the equipment for 7 patrols.

Of course these figures did not include the inflatable penguin, that, is priceless.

edited for spelling(This message has been edited by Spiney Norman)