Whoops! What Scouting has given my boys

• Administrators

Sorry All! I accidentally deleted this thread when I only meant to delete an accidental double post from one of our posters. That will teach me not to meddle!

I'm very sorry, please feel free to post your thoughts on this subject again.

TERRY HOWERTON

SCOUTER.com Publisher

Ten thousand lashes with a wet noodle.

Anyway. My son who started scouting late (13) is now a patrol leader after 1 yr. and will go to Philmont next year. He is learning social skills he cannot learn anywhere else. He is the type of boy who is very smart but has a hard time making and keeping friends. There are still problems but scouting helps here where IMHO would not be found anywhere else.

My son loved Scouting! He is deaf and Scouting really did him alot of good. He feels at home in the outdoors & was elected SPL three times by the Scouts in his Troop. He earned his Eagle in 1998. There have been many times he has told me or someone else, "I can do it. I'm an Eagle Scout" Our local paper printed a small article on him after he received his Eagle.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

I can't tell you what it has given my boys, since I am only 18 years old. I can tell you what it has given me though. As mentioned by Its Trail Day, Scouts has given me great social skills. I make friends just about where ever I go. Since I was 15 I have worked at Rodney Scout Reservation in Maryland as an Aquatics Instructor. This is one of my favorite places in the world. Why? Because I love my friends at camp. These are friends that I see year round because they are so important to me. These are friends that really do care about each other. Second of all I love to teach younger kids at camp. It has allowed me to discover my passion for kids. I plan on being very involved with kids when I get older. Scouting has taught me all this plus giving me a desire to serve my country. This is apparent to my friends and family through joining the AFROTC program and wanting to be a politican when I get older. Scouting has played a huge part in shaping my life, morals, and goals for the future. Thanks BSA!

Scouting gave me time with my father when I was a scout and I made Eagle.

My son and I have shared many adventures and when he made Eagle, I was so proud

He is an ADD and Dyslexic student with a urinary stoma making it necessary to sleep with a drainage bag. He is a visual learner and is good at plant and animal track identification and knots. He took JLTC and then was askled to be on staff at the next JLTC. He knows his contributions are sought, not something he would readily find in the academic arena.

A shy kid, he was SPL for six months and overcame his fear of public speaking,(he also has a dis-fluency problem with his speech)as he lead scout meetings. I dont know of another program that would have given him all that scouting has.(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

My son is also ADD and Dyslexic and after 8 years in scouting he is now and Eagle Scout with a silver and a gold palm. He has hiked hundreds of miles been to 5 scout camps went to JLTC (at the time he said it was the worst week of his life), and served on JLTC staff for 2 years; He even made the cover of Boys' Life bacause he filled out an info form on the National website. He has become a good backpacker and a real leader. He still enjoys scouting and is curently active in his Venture Crew.

As for myself, the ground is sure a lot harder here on the West Coast than it was on the East Coast when I was a Scout.