Lost Gear = Grrrrr $$$

So, Scout just realized that at last spring's last backpack campout he split his tent gear poles vs. cloth with another scout to "share the load".

So, let's all guess what we didn't get back? So, where are they? "I du-nnooooo."

Now I have to shell out for another set of poles for his Kelty, if I can get them...

Hey Adult Leaders!!! You don't split tents! Wanna share the load? Have them split water!

Has your Scout asked to see if the poles are in his buddy's gear? Has he made an announcement that he's missing tent poles? Lastly, did he shake out his gear when he got home, or is he just now clearing it up? Your kid's 12. He should be able to remember who he split gear with on a campout and get the stuff back by the next meeting.

Personally, if my son made no effort to reclaim his gear, I wouldn't buy new for him without a lot of unpaid yardwork going into it.

Eng,

This is your son's responsibility, not his PLs, SPLs or adult leaders. Part of scouting the son growing up and accepting responsibilty for their actions. Since he is missing tentpoles, he needs to figure out a way of getting them back. he can ask his buddy, he can make an announcement, he can buy new ones himself with money he earned or saved up. Or he can learn to sleep under the stars or under the tarp. But whatever you do, do not buy him new poles. As hard as it is sometimes to let you kids screw up royally, better he does it now at this age and learn, than as an adult where it could cost him his job.

Yah, I reckon lots of kids in scout units split tents. And cook gear and other things. When packing a backpack, it just makes things easier. Not just for weight, but for bulk and volume and proper loading, too.

Can't see where this is an adult problem. Your lad is 12, not 3. Time yeh stopped carrying him. The lesson here is that if yeh borrow something that isn't yours, you take better care of it than your own stuff, and return it clean and whole. And if you lose or break it, yeh buy a new one. Good lesson to learn at his age.

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Oh nooooo ..... it can never be an adult problem ...

How about the adults suggest what gear to split and what not to split. Show a little consideration to the parents maybe?

Yeah, they're 12...not 30...they don't know squat.

Yeah, we know what kid he split the gear with...moved away, address unknown.

Hoping it's in the troop trailer...which none of these morons will take the time to look in...more than likely, the poles were left at the campground....say bye-bye.

Still looking for poles.

Yeah...I'm torqued....bout ready to toss out every piece of gear in my garage...

Eng,

Take a deep breath and relax for a few minutes. Then have a chat with son about the importance of being responsible for gear, taking care of it at the appropriate time, and not several months later, and ask how he is going to replace them.

As for adults telling the youth how to divy up gear, again its the youths' responsibility and they do get guidance from the BSHB.

As for calling your son and the other youth morons for not looking in the shed, that's not very appropriate behavior. i'ld calm down and suggest your son do it.

From the Boy Scout Handbook (11th Edition):

"In addition to your own gear, you might carry some patrol or group equipment. Your share might include several pots, part of a tent, a camp stove, and some food."

This is standard backpacking practice. You might want to read up a bit before you start throwing out your son's gear.

This all seems like a very natural development step to me.

- you're son decided to split his backpacking load. Seems reasonable to me.

- you're son and this other scout were not responsible enough to follow up

- you're son realizes his mistake many months later

- you're son has to bear the consequences of this mistake - i.e., having to search all over for it, fund a replacement, etc... But also you're displeasure too.

So next time he is in a similar position again, hopefully he'll remember the mistake and hopefully not repeat it.

Sure, it stinks that you have to handle the collateral damage - but that's just part of the process.

I've seen so many people who have been sheltered from mistakes their whole life and then not know what to do when one happens.

Just my .02.

And one more thing to add to the list of "Why I'm quitting Scouting" when the time comes...

Really, your son went camping in the Spring - who was it that went and got all of the requisite training for there to be a trained adult to oversee his safety? Who was it that went on repeated training weekends not just the camping weekend in question and gave up time with their family to do so? Who was it that went and (if you've ever had and felt the weight of responsibility) worked all weekend to enable your child to be able to go Scouting?

IF he's just now discovering his error, I guess that means he's not been camping since? Is he that inactive in the Troop or is the Troops program that weak?

I suppose had he put it a way wet we'd be hearing about how it was his adult leaders fault that you had a lump of mildew rather than a tent body...

NO NO NO NO NO!

IF he didn't recover his gear is it possible that you were so focused on getting to the next thing that when picking him up from that camp out that you gave him no time to recover the poles from the other Scout OR that conversely the other parent was so focused on getting out of there that your son had no opportunity to do so from that angle?

IF that were the case, then why didn't your son go through his gear when he got home - where he should have noticed the missing poles and made a note to ask the kid he shared with at the next meeting or even better called him and asked him when he could get them back OR asked his PL what the kids number was OR asked the SPL how to contact the kid OR brought it up to an ASM about how he could handle the situation, OR asked for a SM conference to find out how to do this kind of thing.

But from your post we can only conclude that he went camping in the spring and hasn't gone since and which also must be the adult leaders fault - Grrrr

Word edit - improper form... Grr(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)