Hot pot Tongs VS Lid Lifter

I weld. Well, I used to weld alot. Tig, Mig , but mostly arc welding with rods. I always had a pair of regular vice grips as well as flat clamping vise grips.

My problem is twofold:

1) You ever stick those vice grips in your back pocket out of habit after welding a couple pieces of 3/8 steel together? Or after using an acetylene torch? Happens more than you think! :)

The gloves I have are nice insulated leather gloves, The biggest that National Welders sold. Size xx large. They are snug. I have big hands.

(also why the occasional extra letter appears in my posts- I hit two keys at one quite often!)

So I'm leaning towards the lifting tool as I won't put it in my pocket out of habit ( I use grips all day long instaling garage doors). Maybe it won't fit with that tab sticking out.

• 4 years later...

I just found this website by searching what turned out to be the WORD FOR WORD subject of this thread. Just bought my first DO. Haven't used one since Boy Scouts over 30 years ago. I plan to try a few meals in the back yard before my first outing. Thank you all for the creative ideas about DO tools. I think I'm going with gloves and channel locks.

Welcome Carolinifornia!

I have 5 personal DO's and use them all the time. I started with gloves and channel locks and well, I still use gloves and channel locks. You'll be quite satisfied with them.

Stosh

Yes, welcome Carolinfornia!

I bought one of those super light aluminum(?)--or "al-ewe-min-ee-um"--plyers with the fleur-de-lys on it. Garbage.

Then I bought one of those Lodge-branded lid lifters. That works find for me. But heavy gloves work just as well.

I bought a DO a lid lifter a Chimney starter and tongs I can not find the lid lifter have two pairs of gloves and the long Bar-B-Que tongs I find my self using the gloves and the tongs. Then I remember that when I worked at a resonant the chiefs would always use tongs and towels never used a scapula in the place

I have a lid lifter

As others have said, works great. It's really a perfected design

but

I find that it doesn't store all that well. Just a little longer than my DO is wide..... Maybe a folding version would be good....

I think I would suggest the claw hammer

I bought a DO a lid lifter a Chimney starter and tongs I can not find the lid lifter have two pairs of gloves and the long Bar-B-Que tongs I find my self using the gloves and the tongs. Then I remember that when I worked at a resonant the chiefs would always use tongs and towels never used a scapula in the place

Don'tcha just love the phone's ability to fill in the blanks and totally screw it up so bad even you don't remember what you said? :eek:

Stosh

Yes, welcome Carolinfornia!

I bought one of those super light aluminum(?)--or "al-ewe-min-ee-um"--plyers with the fleur-de-lys on it. Garbage.

Then I bought one of those Lodge-branded lid lifters. That works find for me. But heavy gloves work just as well.

The quality was higher when they were made by Doan in Cleveland, But Doan couldn't meet the cost set of the RFP, ao the work wnet elsewhere - and the quality went as well.

I like the Lodge lid lifters and the lid stands. The scouts can use them easily without gloves. Whenever I've seen pliers used, it is typically by an adult. I have a pair of the Lodge red gloves - they work well for picking up the DOs by the handles.