Quick question for all. I'm not in an area of the country that does much with burning bans so we do a lot of wood fires all the time. However, in a burn ban area is the use of charcoal restricted as well?

Stosh

In my experience, the burn ban covers the type of fire, not the fuel used. If open burns are prohibited, no open fires are allowed regardless of fuel source. That means no fire pits, campfire rings, or similar items. If a grill, BBQ smoker, fireplace is used, burning is OK, again regardless of the type of fuel used. The issue is the ease with which a fire could escape, not how it is burning.

In your case, a regulation charcoal grill should be fine, but a charcoal fire in a fire pit would not be.

We have various fire restrictions.

First, fires only in approved fire pits or grills in developed sites.

Next, make that charcoal only, no wood burning.

Finally, gas stoves only.

It all depends on the fire danger and wind forecast. I've been camping in moderate fire conditions with a wind advisory that would only allow gas stoves. They tend to treat all fires as open fires. I suspect this is more for ease of enforcement than actual safety. Easier to say, "No wood fires" rather than "No wood fires except when you are using a screen" and then have to make sure the screen is being used. It is rare that we are gas only.

It can make meal plans a bit challenging at times. Those foil dinners may need to become a stew.

It greatly depends on the local ban. Around here we have several types of bans and in most forested areas where a ban is in effect it is no open fires including wood or charcoal, with the exception is some specific established campgrounds. Liquid or propane fueled camp stoves and lanters are allowed.

Here in So Cal, if the fire hazard is at the highest level, you can have no fires period, including liquid fuel stoves and lanterns. Gas stoves have to be canisters. Makes it very limiting, and make overnights far less enjoyable. For backpacking, it is okay, other than not having any fires after dark, which curtails much evening activity. Only so much you can do with battery powered lights.

Better than burning the forest down though.

So on the last AT trip our Troop made, it was late November and went down to 20's, so the weatherman said, at night, after being in the 50's all day hiking. At dinner/breakfast time, MSR's were hard to start, Jetboil wouldn't ignite, but my Primus 8R cooked dindin for 6 Scouts.

we haven't had a burn ban for so many years here that when the boys are working on their rank work and talk about when to use a stove or fire for cooking they look at me funny when I mention burn bans.

however, we do have another issue around here that is leading some parks to banning campfires and that is insects. I forget which darn bug it is this time, but our upcoming camporee is being held in a campground where we can't bring in any fire wood. We can still cook with charcoal and stoves. Normally this is only an issue if we cross state lines. We helped a troop that camped near us one time that came from a neighboring state and was heading out for wood.

Best advice I have is to contact the park rangers and find out exactly what is banned and what is allowed.

Sounds like the Emerald Ash Borer - Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois have had firewood restrictions for the past few years, and are getting even more restrictive.

No firewood from across state lines. If you have it, it will be taken from you, then piled in a non-public area under a black plastic covering to keep it heated (the presumption is the oven like temps that can be geerated will kill off the beasties) until the staff has a chance to burn what is collected.

In Michigan, they've instituted a 50 mile rule this year - no firewood allowed if it's from beyond 50 miles away. The only exception would be "certified" firewood bought from a state-certified dealer. You can buy firewood at the state park, or from the local surrounding area.

Scrap lumber is generally not considered "firewood" for the purpose of the bans, so if you want to burn 2x4's, that's allowed.

No ash wood can be brought in from anywhere to burn - not even from the neighboring woods - and species of ash doesn't matter.

As said previously, it all depends. In my home county, burn bans often include charcoal grills. This was the reason we finally got a gas grill for the house, I went a whole summer not able to grill at home and didn't like that. I think the reasoning is that charcoal grills could get knocked over or blown over (if strong enough winds) and charcoal could then start a fire but a gas grill is heavier so less likely to be knocked over and even if knocked over, less likely to catch surrounding vegetation on fire.