:) It's interesting how everyone does it differently. The propane tank on most BBQ grills around here are 20# tanks. Instead of filling tanks by volume, they put the tank on the scale and fill to 20#'s. It does not "fill" the tank completely but leaves room for expansion, etc. I don't know all the logistics other than watching them fill the tanks using the scales. Remember they don't fill by pressure pounds, but by weight pounds.

Stosh

Love the comment evmori! I love it when someone thinks so far outside the box they can't see the box anymore.

This question does beg the question: do single tank troops encourage troop-method over the patrol-method? Even if one doesn't use the total 300' measure, does a common cook area with multiple patrol seating really promote the patrol autonomy?

I think I'd rather go the multiple 1# tanks and pay the extra $$'s if it means the boys are really doing the patrol-method thingy.

Stosh

As I said before, we have one 10# tank for each patrol with currently 2 extras (we usually bring 1 extra along on each campout). We have few campsites in our area where we can actually camp 300' apart, but keeping the patrol as far apart as possible is what we strive for every time. And we have never had two patrols share a propane tank.

All propane in our area is sold by the pound. I have never heard of it being sold any othere way(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)

I have seen these 10# tans at a lot of the swap-out, refill places. The 20#'s stand about 2' tall and the 10#'s are the short squatty ones. The hook-ups are the same for both. I can't be sure but it was one of the major chains, (like Wal-Mart) that had them in their cages. Just keep an eye out for a source in your neighborhood, I'm sure they're out there.

And yes, the price was outrageous. Whereas the 10# should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/2 the price of the 20#, that simply is not the case.

What you might consider doing is investing in enough 10# tanks and then (because they are refillable) just have them refilled at your RV place that will charge just for the propane itself.

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)

Our pack shares a 4' X 6' scout trailer with our troop. Same Co so it does work out great.

We have 4 20# bottles for 3 double burner cookers.

Now, I hear a few people laugh at trailering when camping, and I guess it depends on what camping you are doing, but I haven't heard of anybody stuffing a 20# bottle in their backpack yet.

So I guess if your gonna cook with at least one 20 pounder, go ahead and pull the trailer.