Camping and touring on military bases?

Not sure if this is the real place to put this, but certainly is related. Just got off the phone with a contact at Vandenburg AFB on the central coast of California. Was trying to see what we could do as a unit there on a weekend trip.

The nice young woman told me that they no longer offer weekend tours to scouts or other groups; supposedly due to staffing issues. But, there was a time when you never had a problem staying on base, often in the gym, or some specific area set aside for youth groups, which generally were scouts or similar organizations. At least she was able to confirm that we really have little chance of doing any interesting and exciting thing there, as we used to do a decade or more ago. Same seems to be the case at Edwards, where they no longer have the on base camping location, and do not allow anything beyond week day tours.

So, what are the thoughts from others here. Is it really due to staffing, or is it more to do with pressures from our friendly PC people? Seems to me that most of our tours in the past, other than having use of a few facilities like the campground, youth center, and pool, were staffed by volunteers anyway. Though, they may have been allowed to do the volunteering as part of their regular duties I suppose; not sure, as we often had tour leaders in civies back then, apparently doing it on their own time.

Seems to me that the exposure to the "real" military mission activities on some basis is nothing but positive for the military. The tours we did in the past were always well attended and favorites to try to do every year. So, when they "suddenly" became pretty much impossible, unless you have the right contact, it was a real blow to the programing.

Security is another issue. Many bases have increased their security measures since 9/11, requiring complete lists of any adults (with their SSN) driving onto the base for the visit. My son is also a Sea Scout, and if I want to see one of his competitions, the Skipper needs all contact information for everyone coming along.

I was recently the guest of a Ship's Captain down in San Diego. It STILL took me 45 minutes to get on base, even with his full approval, submitting information in advance, etc.

. . . I was thinking post-911 security changes things, too. It's amazing how tense all those in authority have become, and it's even more exaggerated in those with the least authority.

In my book, scouting gets less boy-friendly the more military it looks. Casual is good.

We experienced the same thing this past year at Cherry Point MCAS. They let us stay on base, using the barracks that the Young Marines use, but this year they didn't have anything we could do except bowling on-base. Previously they arranged tours of the control tower, flight line, and the guys on the Rescue team were happy to show their stuff since they had to be there anyway. Too bad, I imagine it as a great recruiting tool for the future.

I was stationed at Vandenburg AFB in the late 80's, 4315th Missle Command (Minute Man III Simulators).

I know there is a Boy Scout Troop - Vandenberg Boy Scout Troop 394, Mike Harrington 734-0530, or Ray Wise 757-1204

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CCQQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.30fss.com%2FDownloads%2FA%26FRC%2Fjul-sep2010_php.pdf&ei=CPx3TNbgLcKBlAeXqfDrCw&usg=AFQjCNGnEh6FMW1Ybfvf9LSyRywZXPAwVg

Probably got the number from the 394th squadron.....

Space and Missile Heritage Center

The Space and Missile Heritage Center preserves and displays artifacts and memorabilia to interpret the evolution of missile and spacelift activity at Vandenberg from the beginning of the Cold War through current non-classified developments in military, commercial, and scientific space endeavors.

The initial display area is made up of two exhibits, the "Chronology of the Cold War" and the "Evolution of Technology". The exhibits incorporate a combination of launch complex models, launch consoles, rocket engines, re-entry vehicles, audiovisual and computer displays as well as hands-on interaction where appropriate. The Center will evolve in stages from these initial exhibit areas as restorations of additional facilities are completed.

The Center is located at Space Launch Complex 10, Vandenberg's only National Historic Landmark and open for regularly scheduled tours through the Public Affairs office at (805) 606-3595. Persons with normal base access may contact the Center directly at DSN 275-8300.

http://www.vandenberg.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-071221-088.pdf

Base Tours

Posted Printable Fact Sheet

Public base tours are offered through the Public Affairs office the 2nd Wednesday of each month. Reservations are required at least one week in advance and can be made by calling (805) 606-6139. No walk-ons are accepted the day of the tour.

Callers must provide their full name, hometown, telephone number and either drivers license number or their social security number. Children must be at least 10 years old to attend a base tour.

Tour attendees should arrive at the Main Gate Visitor Control Center by 9:45 a.m. for check-in. Tours conclude around 12:30 p.m. Upon arrival at the VCC, tour attendees on the reservations list must present photo ID to be permitted on the Air Force tour bus.

Tours are cancelled when mission requirements dictate.

Point of Contact

30th SW Public Affairs

(805) 606-3595

DSN 276-3595

an I come on base to watch a launch?

Vandenberg Air Force Base is designated as a closed installation. Access to the base for launch viewing is limited to those with base access. Members of the media may contact the Public Affairs office at (805) 606-3595 for accreditation and launch coverage.

When is the next scheduled launch?

Information on upcoming Vandenberg launches is available by calling the Launch Update and Rumor Control Hotline at (805) 606-1857. Launch day and time is released three to five days in advance and is available on the hotline during that timeframe. Beyond that, only the month and year of the next planned launch will be posted.

Wheres the best place to view a launch?

The public viewing site for Vandenberg launches is off of Corral Road near Vandenberg's main gate. To access the area, take Highway 1 to the Santa Maria Gate and proceed on Lompoc Casmalia Road. At the barriers, turn right onto Corral Road and bear left to the top. The launch countdown net and port-o-lets are set up near the bleachers.