Are Pit Toilets/Outhouses acceptable for Pack Campouts

My understanding, based on what I read in the BALOO syllabus AND conversations I have had on this matter with our council Program Director, are that any campsites used by Cub Scouts are suposed to be on an APPROVED, COUNCIL MAINTAINED list, and as they are FAMILY oriented activities, should have flush toilets. Reality is that many councils (including ours) have no official list, so the rule is difficult to enforce. If the council approves your tour permit, there should be no issues. But check with your council for further clarification.

On a more practical note, flush/outhouse facilities should generally be fine. I be more inclined to draw the line with NO toilets/dig your own pit. On the same line, if you have ladies attending, you should be sensitive to their needs and expectations. We are fortunate to have 3 different group camping areas in our district with flush toilets where cub scout packs often camp. These locations have never been questioned by our council office.

Thanks, Seems all Georgia State Park Pioneer Camps have either a pit toliet or outhouse. I have to think that Geogia Cub Scouts have used these campgrounds.

In Baloo training they had the three P's rule of thumb. Portable Water, Porcelain toilets and one other P that escapes me right now.

Yes, they are acceptable if they are properly constructed and maintained.

Georgia State Park group sites are acceptable, although some are nicer on convinience than others.

The BSA form 13-508 "Pack Overnighter Site Approval Form" provides a site survey checklist:

1. The camping site is clean and safe from hazards.

2. The site is not located near any natural or manmade hazards.

3. Facilities are available for the proper and sanitary disposal of garbage, with vermin-proof receptacles.These facilities are serviced regularly by the managing agency.

4. Drinking water from an approved source is provided at convenient locations and is readily accessible.

5. Emergency assistance is available 24 hours a day.

6. A public telephone is available within a reasonable distance.

7. If fires are permitted, adequate and safe equipment is provided for cooking and recreational fires.

8. Each family site is within 300 feet of a sanitary toilet facility.

9. Any individual site hook-ups provided for electricity, water, or sewer meet

all appropriate local and state health codes.

10. If swimming is available, it is limited to facilities that meet state health standards. BSA safety guidelines for aquatics are followed.

11. Adequate shelter is available for program activities during inclement weather.

Here's the link to the form: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/CubScoutMeetingGuide/PDF/13-508.pdf

Don't count the Moms out too quickly, they may surprise you.

I've also know of units who had some adult participants (usually Moms) who would discretely go use the more complete facilities in the family camp area. Sometimes the distance is too great to make that practical, your actual mileage may vary.

Austinole,

I am assuming that since you are talking about GA state parks and you are from the land of Garnet and Gold, that you may be considering Seminole State Park. My family camped there and I must say that it is a nice place . The Pioneer area is not too far from the family camping area restrooms, and as rdclements suggests, this may be a good option. I only quickly walked through the Pioneer area and did not specifically check out the pit toilets, but I do remember that I liked the area for troop camping (I was still a Cub leader at the time). I have been wanting to take the troop there for some time....

Separately, there are some great activities there. There is a roped off swimming area with a nice beach (brush up on your Safe Swim Defense), fishing pier, a 2.2 mile Gopher tortise trail, mini-golf and even an evening hay ride followed by an ice cream social (check the ranger schedule). Also, 30ish miles north is Kolomoki (Indian Mounds) State Park, with the largest mounds east of the Mississippi and a really interesting museum. It is worth the drive from Seminole.

Hope I got that right and it helps.

Buffalo Skipper, Seminole is most definately on the list of places to go. Only reason we were thinking else were for this trip is we already have a trip planned for accross the lake on the Florida side of Lake Seminole at Three Rivers State Park.

Note the term "Sanitary Toilet Facility". That doesn't mean flushable privies. It means the toilet faclities provided are sanitary - ie. clean and well maintained.

I've been to state parks where the pit toilets are much cleaner than the flushable privies.

I don't see a whole lot of difference between a porta-john and a pit toilet. Okay, so you have to dig a hole for one....

If this be a Cub Scout issue, then when the boys invite the Webelos II for a winter camp outing at the COUNCIL CAMP, the scouts walk 20' to the latrine and the Webelos boys have to walk 1/2+ mile to the flush toilets. That makes sense.... somewhat. :)

When I was working on my WB Ticket, I took a group of Webelos II boys out for a "primitive back country canoe outing." Sounds better than reality. We paddled out 30 minutes to an island and camped for the weekend. Every boy had his dad in tow. The best part of the whole outing for 3 of the boys was digging and lashing together the latrine. They did a right fine job. The lashings held and no one fell in which was nice too.

The statute of limitations as expired on this trip. :)

Stosh