• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A nice alternative might be what some call "Turkish," "Greek," "Armenian," etc. etc. coffee. It's common pretty much everywhere in the general middle east/Balkan/Caucasus regions, and was designed to be made over things like campfires. Basically, if you have a middle eastern store around you, you'll be able to find a Turkish coffee pot, to make it. Or you can order one online. Here's a video on how it's done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm-WhTRE-74

The video isn't that great, but it'll give you a visual. Basically, the most important thing is to go to your grocery store and either buy Nescafe, or if you can grind the beans at the store, turn the grinder all the way to the right (on most coffee grinders) to the "Turkish" setting. This will give you a very, very fine powder.

Then all you need to do is put about 3 or 4 tablespoons in the bottom of the pot, toss however much sugar you want in, fill almost to the top with water, and put it on the fire. Let it boil, take it off, put it back on, boil again, take it off, put it back on until it boils again, take it off, and then pour into your cup. Be careful not to let it boil over. It's thick, it's strong, and it'll keep you kicking for a good long time. Better than 6-8 cups! Probably more weight effective, too.

Chocolate covered espresso beans are the greatest, though chocolate covered bacon is very good too. As for coffee, I have one of those stove top espresso makers (I am to tired to go downstairs to see what kind). It is really easy to use, just put the water in the bottom, the coarsely ground beans in the little tray thing ant turn on the heat. 5-10 minutes later whip up some milk and presto, triple shot cappuccino.

That is at home of course, when my ship goes cruising I have a single serve french press. I bring my own beans because they are way better than the preground Folders stuff that my ship buys (my mom's boyfriend has a business in Costa Rica and he brings back a suitcase full of freshly roasted top quality beans a couple times a month).