I buy my non-pasteurized, not-from-concentrate fresh-squeezed orange juice from Citrus Country Groves, two miles up the road from my house. Their tangerine juice is even better.

I don't drink the dreck they sell at grocery stores labeled orange juice. Once it's been pasteurized, it's just not the same. I guess when you live in Florida, you get spoiled.

As for coffee, sometimes I bring the 8 cup percolator, sometimes the 4-cup stove-top espresso maker (which can be used for normal coffee). I'd like to get one of those single cup pour/drip filters though. It all depends on how many people are going to want coffee.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Of course the most thrifty way of all is to cut the orange in to wedges, pop a wedge between the teeth with the peel outside the lips, and bite and suck - juice with pulp - no squeezing - no glass to clean." - Calico Penn

I love the example and it only shows how un-Thrifty we adults can be. All you have to do is put the coffee beans in your mouth, chew a bit to grind them up, knock off a couple of gulps of water from your water bottle and you'll have all the a.m. caffeine you'll need for the whole day! No perking - no cup to clean! Love it. :) And for all you skeptics out there who think this is outlandish, try some chocolate covered coffee beans sometime!

Stosh

Coffee: just the way the Scouts drink it: none. Kicked the habit years ago. H2O is fine (maybe powdered milk on occasion).

OJ: Forget the juice. Doesn't backpack well, requires refrigeration. East whole oranges instead (except the peel - pack that out!).

KISS

Unless it is the enjoyment of the making of the coffee you seek just get Starbucks Via and leave the pot home. This was the best invention for camp cooking since the Dutch oven.

If you absolutely have to bring some paraphernalia I vote for the French press and your favorite ground coffee.

Either way all you have to do is make hot water.

I have had the Folgers tea bag coffee and believe it should only be served to those you do not like.

For the absolute coffee snob get a Bialetti espresso pot. This is what I use at home with Cafe Bustelo. Makes perfect espresso every time.

Miq,

Some of us don't like Starbucks. Then again I grew up on Cafe du Monde and Community Coffee in New Orleans, so I need coffee with chicory in it.

and speaking of Dutch ovens, some Dutch oven beignets, powdered suger, and CDM's cafe au lait sound awesome right now ;)

nolerules wrote: "I guess when you live in Florida, you get spoiled."

Understandable, we have that here with yellow sweetcorn, home grown tomatoes local grown Muscatine melons and apples. As to OJ that was for home, I don't worry bout that when camping just a few days, or I take canned tomato juice.

I think BP would have preferred tea! :)

No grinding, no French press, no percolators, heat up water, toss in tea and enjoy.

For the backpacker, put a bag or two in your water bottle and you can brew without hot water on the march. Toss the bag in a hot fire and there's no clean up at all. Calico would like that. ;)

Stosh

I expect most places have their local or near-local exceptional produce.. Besides citrus, we also are the winter strawberry capital of the country and also are known for the tomatoes.

I like the idea of chocloate covered beans. That's got to make for a nice pick-me-up without the brew time or the chemicals in those energy drinks.