I find it to be much cheaper and more efficient to just visit another campsite with empty coffee cup in hand.

Seriously though - you can get a 3-cup stainless steel coffee percolator from Campmor for about $20 - and just recycle the guts. I would use it for boiling water though (for whatever water boiling needs I have) and use a French press for making coffee or tea (think about this - if individual coffee bags for steeping is bad, why wouldn't the same hold true for teabags? If you're a tea drinker, use loose tea - and the French press is great for that too).

You can also get 6-cup coffee percolators from the same source (or other real outdoor gear sources - sorry, Walmart just won't have it - their market is the guys grabbing cheap gear for car camping - and that generally means larger sized cooking gear and not a wide selection).

If you look around, you should be able to find 6-cup enamel-ware coffee pots (no percolators in these) if you want that old fashioned look.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In cub scout family camping, the option of roaming with an empty coffee cup does sometimes work.

I've got the french press, and I boil the coffee in a whistling kettle. The good thing is I usually have water to make hot cocoa for my cub scout son.

My college housemate Raffi Karahisar (you out there, some'ers, buddy?), made our coffee thus: Use coarse ground.

*in a sufficiently commodious pot, for each cup of coffee desired:

*Add One table spoon coffee, plus one.

*One tablespoon sugar, plus one.

*One cup of water, plus one.

*Place on fire/stove, stir, and bring to a rolling boil for 30 seconds or so.

*IMMEDIATELY pour into serving cups, let grounds settle out for a bit.

Enjoy.

Oh, and for your singing pleasure, this introduced at last WB class:

Caffeination, Morning Caffeination

(refrain):

Caffeination, morning caffeination,

Caffeination, helps me start the day!

Make it of a brownish hue,

Throw the grounds in, let it brew!

Let it brew, brownish hue, Oh-Oh-Oh-Oh,

(refrain)

Make it strong, it melts the spoon!

And Ill drink it very soon!

Very soon, Melts the spoon, Let it brew, Brownish hue, Oh-Oh-Oh-Oh,

(refrain)

Burns my tongue, oo-oo its hot!

Think Ill drink the whole darn pot!

Whole darn pot, Oo, its hot, Very soon, Melts the spoon , Let it brew, Brownish hue, Oh-Oh-Oh-Oh

(refrain)

Sweeten it with glucose plain,

Then well sing the same refrain!

Add some milk or cream today,

Maybe next Ill make Earl Grey!

Did the french press but got tired of cleaning the durn thing. Really messes up LNT principles cleaning out the grounds from the cup, you always spill some. Also keep getting grounds in my teeth when I brushed... ;-)

Last coupla years I bought do-it-yourself tea bags from Peets and filled em with coffee. Works well, fresh grounds, no cleanup, but you do have to pack out the wet grounds.

I tried some of that Starbucks instant and it was ok. Not good, not bad, but OK. I think on a long trip I'd go to those, but for a weekender its tea bag coffee.

I do not know if this product ever got off the ground as I have not seen it since, but one company made a concentated liquid coffee that all you did was add water to the desired strength. Or if you liked it strong, then just add milk and sugar. A container of concentrate lasted me 5 days as I like my coffee strong.

Also I had a friend use Water Joe, caffienated water, to make his coffee. said he couldn't get the desired strength while camping.

I use REI's lexan french press, which has an insulating sleeve, great for the winter here in PA.

For real lean trips, I just bring a pot and make camp coffee and let the grounds settle a little before I pour. Tastes great over a campfire, and I always use Cafe Bustelo. It is the best for camping.

WEll, I actually like the perculating coffee pots, and if you use a filter by poking a hole in the middle, the filter soaks up most of the oil.

Ijust don't want to buy a 30 or 40 cup coffee maker. 12 is towards the high side, but wouild do. I'd prefer a 8 cup or less (which is more like a 4 cup for me).

Egg? Seriously? Does it not add a nasty bit of flavor? For some reason,I imagine coffee tasting like over cooked yolk.

The troop I use to volunteer with in West Texas (and several other troops in that area) used a modified cowboy coffee method: l'eggs-style woman's nylon stocking. Put coffee grounds in stocking. Tie in knot. Drop in boiling water pot. Let boil until it looked like coffee.

Next pot, untie sock, add more grounds, retie and repeat. At end of weekend, throw away sock.

As scary as it sounds, it worked.

These days, I use a peculator I bought for 50 cents at a yard sale--with the innards intact and it works just fine.

Heck I make my coffee "cowboy style" most every day. Boil water in whistling tea kettle, one rounded tablespoon of grounds in one of those stainless steel cups that fits a Nalgean bottle, pour boiling water into cup, in larger cup (actually a titanium cup 1.3 times larger pour in that .3 in 2% milk, pour the coffee on top, train grounds with teeth as you drink though the milk settles most, fling grounds onto the yard as I walk out to do farm chores.

Sadly today I'm outa milk.

You can also buy a fine mesh strainer at K-Mart, sold as a permanent filter for drip coffee makers.

Hand juicer of course - A Scout is Thrifty - and though the hand juicer is an expense upfront, it increases the amount of juice that can be gotten from an orange by magnitudes over just hand squeezing - if you're hand squeezing, you're tossing out a lot of potential juice - and that's just not being very thrifty, is it?

Of course the most thrifty way of all is to cut the orange in to wedges, pop a wedge between the teeth with the peel outside the lips, and bite and suck - juice with pulp - no squeezing - no glass to clean.