what's the take on camping on Sunday. I was asked to head up the fall camporee, now I'm getting flak about scouts camping on Sunday requireing them to atted the camporee instead of their chruch of choice. Never had this probelm before...what kink of responce should one give..

eaglefoot

'Foot

#1 Welcome to the forums.

#2 that's a new one for me, but I am use to a campwide Scout's Own being done. At some camporees the service is done on the subcamp level. I've seen it done with an ordained minister, and sometimes with a lay church leader.

Now I have heard about some areas out west, specifcally LDS country, where camporees end saturday nite for them. I'm out east so that hasn't affected us.

Out here in LDS country the LDS units generally bug out Saturday night after the campfire. The traditional units generally have a Scout's Own service of some kind that each unit is welcome to join. Some units have their own services. Some just bug out.

I'm not sure how you can require a scout to stay at a camporee instead of leaving to go to his church's service. I guess by location, a unit can make it very inconvient for a scout to leave.

Our troop always camps through Sunday. If a scout wants to leave early to go to church his parents are free to come and get him.

Tell the campers to go home and go to their church if that is what they need to do and wish them a safe journey home and thank them for participating in the Camporee. The BSA encourages leadership to provide worship opportunities for scouts on Sunday if they are staying through Sunday. Some Troops conduct their own services and other Troops may attend a camp-wide Scount's Own service.

In the grand scheme of things, it's really not an issue. Most camporee programs occur on Friday evening and Saturday. Not much happens on Sunday with units packing up Sunday morning after breakfast.