"Amazing Race" style camporee

For our Fall Camporee, we're planning an "Amazing Race" type of event, where in addition to having the scouts go from station to station, the station maps will be located on an orienteering map, and the overall event will be timed.

I think I've come up with a good list of 12 events that can be done in a "timely" manner, requiring the usual 1st Class and under skills but also a large amount of team work and good ol' think-un skills.

Has anyone here participated or organized a similar event? I have several other questions / initial thoughts to run by everyone, and will be posting them in the next few weeks. For now, I'm wondering if there's any major "roadblocks" or "detours" (to borrow terminology from the TV show) I should be aware of that you may have experienced (of course I would gladly accept hearing positive stories as well!).

YiS,

Gags

Message for moderators - suggest creating a folder specifically for camporee discussions? Maybe under Camping / High Adventure topic?

I have been on both sides of events like this before. The first thing that comes to mind is "safety first safety always" .. so for example in the tv show they show them running to the next station depending on location that could be a problem ... Feel free to post your questions and I am sure there are a few of us here that can give you some advice...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

http://twitter.com/insanescouter

It was many moons ago, but we had something with orienteering skills to get from station to station.. The only few things I remember was there were some of the trickier orienteering skills along the way.. Moving around obsticals like a very tiny pond or the corner of a building.. And something forced the scouts to try to measure the height of a telephone pole.

Our district just did this last spring. The biggest change from previous camporees was NO SCORING. It was all about completing the course and activities while really trying to learn from it.

No one missed the cheesy prizes and all the scouts still had fun.

This is off the top of my head, but what about a timed course, based on a standard (run it through yourself, and use that as the benchmark)? Then patrols can be plus/minus the time standard, thus penalizing the patrols that run from point to point. Closest one to the standard would get rewarded. In order to stave off running and waiting, don't disclose the benchmark. Just let them know that it is based on a certain event time, and then walking (safely!) to the next station.

Guy

Initial plans was to not have any scoring - 1st across the finish line is the winner. I'm considering having a mandatory 3-5 minute "debrief" for each patrol so that they can be evaluated on their performance, and also, as was mentioned in the "Camporee Scoring" thread, maybe just giving out a prize for the top patrol at each station, based solely on the judges preference.

It's being held at a scout camp, so most of the traveling between stations will be via camp roads and trails, so I'm not overly concerned about scouts running around. (I'm more concerned about lost patrols, which is why I'll also be creating a "lost camper" plan).

And thank you for the feedback so far!

You may have a problem with backing up at the more complex stations. Worse yet if you start the patrols out at different points to stagger the load. first wave gets right in and out, last wave has 10 min wait time. Not a problem until you score based on time.

Timed events promote cutting corners and discourage teamwork and fair play.