My son just returned from summer camp. He had a few pairs of clean clothes left which did not surprise me to much. He did not however have any clean underwear or socks left. He might rewear his clothes but he will change his underwear and socks daily...and he is 11!

Our troop is at our council camp (Spanish Trail Scout Reservation, Camp Euchee) right now. The camp is notoriously hot and humid. Typical 90/90s (90+F/90%+ humidity). Campers develop what is affectionally called the "Euchee walk," where scouts walk with a bit of a bow legged stance to avoid chaffing a very raw area. I was up on Sunday night and left after dinner Monday (I'll return Thursday evening).

After I left, the ASMs marched the scouts to the showers and they showered by patrol (which I heard worked very well). Any with Euchee walk were told to dry extra well and given Gold Bond to apply liberally. All were better by yesterday morning, according to reports I heard.

Of the 18 scouts we sent to camp, only 14 were first time summer campers.

And then there's the boy who will wear his "favorite shorts" all week UNDER a different layer of shorts - w/o violating YP how are the SM, ASM, SPL, or ASPL supposed to monitor that?? Hmmm?

Look it's Summer Camp, I promise one shower during the week and hope they all register for a daily pool activity where we always encourage a shower BEFORE entering the pool(reduces the bather shock load on the pool and thus lessens the chemical use).

As to camp washing machines, 5 gallon bucket with lid, cut a one inch hole in the center of the lid, grab a toilet plunger(or make an agitator of your own design) and off to the races - works great.

And as to the military and changing socks and underwear - one of my favorite cartoons ever had the bedraggled Infantry NCO standing in front of some Troops who had just come off the line reading a message and then finishing with something like this : "So in order to reward you for your hard service these last three weeks on the line, a change of underwear has been authorized, Jones you change with Mullins, Brown change with Scroggins, ...."

Gunny,

Wasn't it Chesty Puller who wanted to stress the importance of a change of socks and footwear, that on one training exercise, he ordered everyone to change boots and socks, forbidding anyone from wearing the same pair. Lots of folks barefooted, sockfooted, and wearing boots with no socks.

Yes I think the cartoon I referenced was an Army one probably a Joe & Willie by Bill Maudlin but I'm not sure..

Chesty had his trash together regarding troop welfare - whether the individual liked it or not - but I'd bet none of those clowns were ever caught without their mandated extra socks again - the extra boots can be a bear IRL but no real reason not to carry them on a training exercise - especially since in my old units we tended to spot weigh packs. God forgive the fellow who stuffed his pack with newspaper - cause no one else was going to...