Campout and Oversleeping

When I was a Scoutmaster, I always told the youth in the troop that each choice they made had consequences, the consequences could be good or they could be bad, but they made the decision. The younger scouts always asked what that meant, and I always explained the good and bad consequences of a decision. The older scouts had it figured out and would live with their decision and not complain.

David

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the day, I had an alarm clock that played an annoying bugle song really loud. We always brought it with us on outings and any scouts that dared to oversleep had to listen to my clock sing till they got dressed and out of the tent. Never failed to awake the sleepiest of scouts.

In 2007 we did a great backpacking trip to Double H in New Mexico. We had a guide, three adults and 6 Scouts. The boys decided that they did not want to get up "early" but instead, rise, eat breakfast and clean up at a leisurely pace before trekking out. This meant that most of the 6 - 7 mile trek was done during the heat of the day (in the desert mind you in July). Being young (15 -17), in shape (high school track (1), football (3), wrestling (2), skiing (1) teams) - they didn't care or complain about it. Being over 50, just able to squeeze in under the weight proportional to height limit (I'm vertically challenged) I was not to pleased with their decision but it was their decision.

On the third day our trek group met up with a few others and the guide of another trek severly chastised us (the adults) as being poor leaders because we "allowed" the Scouts to get up "late" in her eyes.

Some just don't get the program.

I teach a lot of college freshmen, and often at obscenely early hours of the morning (to a college freshman, this evidently means "before noon"). Over the years I have come to enjoy teaching 8am classes, although I am also "not a morning person," I live a good hour's drive from campus, and unlike my students, I can't go to class in my PJs or arrive 12 seconds before class starts.

Somehow, the darlings all get to class on time. Or, they don't. In the latter case, if it happens often, inevitably they do not do well. Sometimes I hear about how their alarms didn't go off, mom did not call them early enough, the power went out, whatever. My response - get a second alarm clock, battery powered, put it by the door so you have to get out of bed to turn it off, and give your mom a break. Only one time has a student asked (seriously!) if ***I*** would call them in the morning. You can imagine the look on that kid's face, when the rest of the class broke out into hysterics. I almost felt bad for him.

Engineer - real life is like that. You know this and I'm sure your wife does, too. I guess your son is finding that out right now.

Lisabob, so you are a college professor. You must be one of the ones who has a good rating on ratemyprofessor.com. Mine tend to arrive just as class is supposed to start. Actually my chemistry teacher usually doesn't get there until after everyone else. Mind you this class starts at 2pm, so everyone has already been awake for at least a few hours.

sailing,

Yup, that's what I do. Most days, I can honestly say I really enjoy my job too! As for RMP ratings, well sometimes yes and sometimes no. I find it varies, often based on a lot of factors that are entirely outside my control.

One thing I have noticed - the fellows who identify themselves as Eagle Scouts are a lot less likely to show up late to class! Something in their scouting careers must have sunk in.

Interesting discussion. As I think about it, the only time sleeping in has been an option is the occasional scout at summer camp who has decided to take it easy on the MB front. Usually an older scout, a "been there, done that" kind of thing.

On weekend outings, there's always somewhere to be or something to do - especially departure morning. That's cold grub, up and out.

Adults don't generally do the "wakey wakey eggs and bakey" thing - that's up to the youth leadership who can make it very difficult to continue to sleep. We don't drop tents.

Vicki